News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by Ginger66, March 10, 2020, 05:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Sorry if this is not the right place. 

But a quick question. what happens if the government says close down public transport due to the virus and due to passengers have weekly/monthly/yearly tickets will this be refunded if you can't use the ticket

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 10, 2020, 05:58:26 PM
Sorry if this is not the right place. 

But a quick question. what happens if the government says close down public transport due to the virus and due to passengers have weekly/monthly/yearly tickets will this be refunded if you can't use the ticket

It's an interesting question, and one that I hope never needs to be answered.

As far as I am concerned, there is far too much hype and over-reaction in the media (and on social media) regarding this virus, and I wish that people would start calming down and carrying on as normal. Which to be fair is how I see the vast majority of people I observe behaving anyway on a day-to-day basis.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mesub

23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Steveminor

I wouldn't believe anything the press says unless it's an OFFICIAL  government or local authority press release

windy miller

I'm not on twitter or Facebook but now the subject has been brought up I would
    have to say I am probably in a vulnerable group. I think what the government is
    trying to say has a similar ring to the Spanish Flu outbreak at the end of the first
   World war where the virus wiped out more people in the whole of Europe than were
     killed in the war itself. In other words , within a year the virus had infected just
      about everyone in could as the ever growing numbers of surviving patients had
    developed anti bodies and were therefore unlikely to catch it twice.  What worries
     me is there appears to be no Direct information on the subject of pets.?   
      Would you allow a stranger to stroke your dog?  ...If by chance you later develop
      the virus and have allowed your dog to lick your face?  Although there appears to
     be no evidence there is any direct  threat to domestic animals The virus can last
    up to 72 hours on a hard surface and poss less on fabrics, But, more worryingly,
..how long would the virus survive in a dogs mouth for example...????

Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Quote from: Stu on March 10, 2020, 06:33:51 PM
As far as I am concerned, there is far too much hype and over-reaction in the media (and on social media) regarding this virus, and I wish that people would start calming down and carrying on as normal. Which to be fair is how I see the vast majority of people I observe behaving anyway on a day-to-day basis.
Seems to be far too much panic from some people from what I've seen and heard.
All the "stockpiling" because of this coronavirus hardly seems normal, seems a bit ridiculous.
I went in Fox and Goose, Tesco earlier and some stupid people had emptied most of the shop because they are "stockpiling".
Heard the woman working their also say at 10:30am this morning it was packed and people were going mad.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: mesub on March 12, 2020, 09:59:49 PM
Stu seems to have featured in an article from Birmingham mail about it actually: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/trains-buses-being-deep-cleaned-17909672

Yes, I received a message a few days ago sent through the contact form on my website, from this Gurdip Thandi, the author of this article. He was looking for comments on whether National Express should step up efforts to clean and disinfect their buses to 'prevent the spread of coronavirus'.

If I'd known this guy was actually going to use my comments in his article, I might have been even more forthright in my criticism of the media, in particular the Birmingham Mail!

As it stands, there are currently 798 confirmed cases in the UK. As much of the media just refers to 'coronavirus cases', rather than specifically referring to the nasty COVID-19 strain from China, I just find it all a bit dubious, as the commond cold and influenza are also types of 'coronavirus'.

So 798 cases confirmed, out of a total UK population of 66+ million. Its a really tiny insignificant percentage of the population.

Anyway this forum isn't the place for this type of discussion, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Yes, I do think there is a lot of over-reaction, fuelled mostly by the media, and those people stupid and selfish enough to start panic-buying and clearing shops of stock, leaving nothing for those who genuinely need it the most.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stu on March 13, 2020, 07:16:22 PM
Yes, I received a message a few days ago sent through the contact form on my website, from this Gurdip Thandi, the author of this article. He was looking for comments on whether National Express should step up efforts to clean and disinfect their buses to 'prevent the spread of coronavirus'.

If I'd known this guy was actually going to use my comments in his article, I might have been even more forthright in my criticism of the media, in particular the Birmingham Mail!

As it stands, there are currently 798 confirmed cases in the UK. As much of the media just refers to 'coronavirus cases', rather than specifically referring to the nasty COVID-19 strain from China, I just find it all a bit dubious, as the commond cold and influenza are also types of 'coronavirus'.

So 798 cases confirmed, out of a total UK population of 66+ million. Its a really tiny insignificant percentage of the population.

Anyway this forum isn't the place for this type of discussion, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Yes, I do think there is a lot of over-reaction, fuelled mostly by the media, and those people stupid and selfish enough to start panic-buying and clearing shops of stock, leaving nothing for those who genuinely need it the most.

Are nx improving cleaning in vehicles?

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 13, 2020, 07:33:57 PM
Are nx improving cleaning in vehicles?

Quote from: Stu on March 13, 2020, 07:16:22 PM

windy miller

Quote from: Tony on March 13, 2020, 07:53:59 PM

One small point.. Many moons ago when a service reached its terminus the driver
     would invariably keep the doors closed for a few minutes while he did a quick
     visual (both upper and lower deck) to check for soiled seating/Damages/and
     empty cans /bottles which so often made their way from either end of the top deck
    whenever the vehicle came to a stop and occasionally dissapeared down the staircase!
     In view of this virus 'prevention' would it be possible for the driver to give the
    handrail/bell push a quick wipe with a sanitised cloth? time permitting obviously

windy miller

Quote from: 2206 on March 13, 2020, 06:04:14 PM
Seems to be far too much panic from some people from what I've seen and heard.
All the "stockpiling" because of this coronavirus hardly seems normal, seems a bit ridiculous.
I went in Fox and Goose, Tesco earlier and some stupid people had emptied most of the shop because they are "stockpiling".
Heard the woman working their also say at 10:30am this morning it was packed and people were going mad.

On Friday 13th I found My local Tesco had been stripped of washing up liquid, Pasta, Boiled rice all cheap cooking oils and toilet rolls despite the store request that customers limit their purchase to one item... whats to stop a customer re-entering the store to
  buy again?.... madness total madness

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk