News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Free city centre buses

Started by Sandy Lane, October 22, 2019, 10:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 02, 2020, 04:01:20 PM
The point I'm making is that there are sufficient commercial services that do waht the old CC bus does and in some respect the metro has replaced the Snow Hill-New Street section of the route. Also though there are the following services that link all three stations together.

10H
23/24
82/87

The following link two stations together.

X20/X21/X22
61/63
45/47

But theres still lots of what can be described as City Centre that's still cut off from everywhere else. Anyone wanting to get to/from the Universities for example have a fair walk from most buses, yes you can catch another bus out there but by the time you've walked from wherever your bus puts you to Priory Queensway you're halfway there already. There really does need to be more routes that penetrate further
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Busboy105

Quote from: Kevin on February 10, 2020, 07:57:10 AM
But theres still lots of what can be described as City Centre that's still cut off from everywhere else. Anyone wanting to get to/from the Universities for example have a fair walk from most buses, yes you can catch another bus out there but by the time you've walked from wherever your bus puts you to Priory Queensway you're halfway there already. There really does need to be more routes that penetrate further
I think that Jewellery Quarter deserves a better link to the city centre. I would extend the 101 further into the City Centre.

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 10, 2020, 08:53:03 AM
I think that Jewellery Quarter deserves a better link to the city centre. I would extend the 101 further into the City Centre.

It's got a tram that covers almost all of the city centre.

Gareth

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 10, 2020, 08:53:03 AM

I previously worked in the JQ for almost 7 years. It's already very well connected with bus, train and tram. There's also the Inner Circle for wider bus links.

Busboy105

Quote from: Gareth on February 10, 2020, 10:27:46 AM
I previously worked in the JQ for almost 7 years. It's already very well connected with bus, train and tram. There's also the Inner Circle for wider bus links.
It's amazing how many links JQ has. The only other areas that has all transport links (that I can think of) are WB and Wolves.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 10, 2020, 10:32:12 AM
It's amazing how many links JQ has. The only other areas that has all transport links (that I can think of) are WB and Wolves.

West Brom doesn't have all transport links unless you're claiming S&D station is a good link for WB? I personally don't think S&D station could be classed as a good transport link for WB as it's quite a bus ride/walk from WB.

Busboy105

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 21, 2020, 12:32:47 PM
West Brom doesn't have all transport links unless you're claiming S&D station is a good link for WB? I personally don't think S&D station could be classed as a good transport link for WB as it's quite a bus ride/walk from WB.
It's only a 5 minute bus ride from WB it's not far.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 21, 2020, 04:42:13 PM
It's only a 5 minute bus ride from WB it's not far.
But it isn't really convenient to catch a bus then a train for most people.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on February 21, 2020, 05:02:35 PM
But it isn't really convenient to catch a bus then a train for most people.

Why isn't it more convenient to catch a bus to the train station and then catch the train. I do it quite a lot.

Pat

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 23, 2020, 04:12:26 PM
Why isn't it more convenient to catch a bus to the train station and then catch the train. I do it quite a lot.
In some circumstances, it isn't.  Say you wanted to travel by train to Wolverhampton.  Why would you when you can catch a 79 from West Brom or the tram?  Also, people who travel with heavy bags e.t.c will find having to change an inconvenience.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on February 23, 2020, 04:29:32 PM
In some circumstances, it isn't.  Say you wanted to travel by train to Wolverhampton.  Why would you when you can catch a 79 from West Brom or the tram?  Also, people who travel with heavy bags e.t.c will find having to change an inconvenience.

I get where you're coming from. What's the saying tough like it or lump it! That's why so many tendered services are being fully withdrwan and no replacement is required. Although for a city centre bus to tun like it did quite a few years ago, all the cars would have to be perminantly band from the city. And I here you ask why. As has been comented on in the past that the city is to conjested to put any more this on to its roads. And although the council and transport althoright are trying to get people out their cars and on to public transport it's not working as well as they had thought. Althouvh the City will soon be potentually car free there is sufficient bus replacement for the citly's rail staion loop so why bring something back if it's not needed?

windy miller

One Free city centre service runs a circular from Glasgow Central station to
    Glasgow Queen street and reverse You are expected to flash a rail ticket
     at the driver on boarding  alternatively you can just tell the driver you need
       to catch a train from Queen street and they won't argue. Its a useful service
      when its pouring with rain believe me! :) 
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk