News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Question for drivers of NXWM regarding the company

Started by sam791, November 26, 2019, 12:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam791

Hi all,

Newbie here, who has been lurking around as a guest for a while. I am often fascinated with the way NXWM run their operations in Birmingham and the rest of the West Midlands and coming from Sheffield where things are run very different (no cash vaults/ weekly tickets able to be bought onboard etc.) I've often wondered of certain aspects and was wondering if anyone could answer/point me in the right direction of a few questions I have...

1) I know that the contracted working week for NXWM is 38hrs. But does this include any walking time/ 6th day guarantees and what happens when a driver signs off. Is it a case of just leaving the vehicle and then you have clocked off, or do you get paid to walk back to cashing in room to sign off? (In Sheffield for example it's 13 mins book on & 5 mins book off - then factor in the various walking times on top).

2) Are drivers of NXWM issued with a bag in their uniform order? My last visit I paid close attention and couldn't see a single company issued bag - some drivers even choosing not to have any?

3) How are Rotas conducted? i.e. is it just 1 route, a small cluster of routes or totally mixed?

4) Can notes be accepted through the cash vaults, or would these get jammed?

Just curious as coming from a background in the bus industry and taking a key passion in the scheduling side of the industry, it's just interesting to see how things compare with an exact fare system compared to those that carry cash - in Sheffield for instance drivers are provided 5 minutes to cash in after they clock off their bus.

Thanks for any help :)

Busboy105

Quote from: sam791 on November 26, 2019, 12:41:36 PM
Hi all,

Newbie here, who has been lurking around as a guest for a while. I am often fascinated with the way NXWM run their operations in Birmingham and the rest of the West Midlands and coming from Sheffield where things are run very different (no cash vaults/ weekly tickets able to be bought onboard etc.) I've often wondered of certain aspects and was wondering if anyone could answer/point me in the right direction of a few questions I have...

1) I know that the contracted working week for NXWM is 38hrs. But does this include any walking time/ 6th day guarantees and what happens when a driver signs off. Is it a case of just leaving the vehicle and then you have clocked off, or do you get paid to walk back to cashing in room to sign off? (In Sheffield for example it's 13 mins book on & 5 mins book off - then factor in the various walking times on top).

2) Are drivers of NXWM issued with a bag in their uniform order? My last visit I paid close attention and couldn't see a single company issued bag - some drivers even choosing not to have any?

3) How are Rotas conducted? i.e. is it just 1 route, a small cluster of routes or totally mixed?

Just curious as coming from a background in the bus industry and taking a key passion in the scheduling side of the industry, it's just interesting to see how things compare with an exact fare system compared to those that carry cash - in Sheffield for instance drivers are provided 5 minutes to cash in after they clock off their bus.

I'm not a bus driver but notes are accepted on NX buses. Sometimes they do get jammed but the drivers usually fix the issue very quickly.

Tony

Quote from: sam791 on November 26, 2019, 12:41:36 PM
Hi all,

1) Some duties include travelling time to relief points, others don't. Once you are off the bus (at the relief point, or on the pumps at the garage) you are finished. At the garage you need to hand in your running board/VCR and any lost property, but bus is devaulted, cash counted, and cash to ticket machine balanced by someone else
2) there is a backpack that was available
3) rotas vary again. There are some single route rotas, and some that cover a multitude of routes
4) Notes go in the cash vaults

sam791

Quote from: Tony on November 26, 2019, 01:04:23 PM
1) Some duties include travelling time to relief points, others don't. Once you are off the bus (at the relief point, or on the pumps at the garage) you are finished. At the garage you need to hand in your running board/VCR and any lost property, but bus is devaulted, cash counted, and cash to ticket machine balanced by someone else
2) there is a backpack that was available
3) rotas vary again. There are some single route rotas, and some that cover a multitude of routes
4) Notes go in the cash vaults
Thanks very much for your quick response Tony.

10 garages each with there own local variations, local agreements etc Coventry garage currently has best agreements, pennsnet the worst, if your based in a proper bus station you get full facilities, if your on a rota with a relief else where you make do with 3rd party facilities or bus shelters.
Winter is well miserable in these locations , very high turnover of staff on these rotas people don't want to know.

Duties aren't what they use to be straight through duties almost gone , now we,ve got 3 part duties, then you have split duties 11/12 hours spread to earn your 7.36
Toilets are a real issue on some rotas.
I could go on and on but you get the drift do your research .
I am waiting to see what happens after Brexit

Oh and unite the union is useless save your money for coffee in McDonald's

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk