News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Area Management Operating Structures

Started by monkeyjoe, July 23, 2020, 06:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

I was just curious and not sure if people are allowed to answer these questions:-

What are the current area management operating structures and will the closure of Bordesley impact them much?
(i.e my understanding they are  BY/BC/PB/WA        - AG/YW/CV etc etc

Is the Head office moving to Digbeth too? 

Many thanks.

Busboy105

Quote from: monkeyjoe on July 23, 2020, 06:40:57 AM
I was just curious and not sure if people are allowed to answer these questions:-

What are the current area management operating structures and will the closure of Bordesley impact them much?
(i.e my understanding they are  BY/BC/PB/WA        - AG/YW/CV etc etc

Is the Head office moving to Digbeth too? 

Many thanks.
The head office could stay at Bordesley. Just because the garage is closing doesn't mean the head office has to move. Don't think it will affect the management that much. BC only has 3 services, Lea Hall has way more when it closed in 2010.

monkeyjoe

I guess may point about the head office moving was more to do with the fact we  are in unprecedented times and moving the head office to Digbeth would provide cost savings and would make sense if the depot was going.

Still curious to understand the garage management structures, i remember if posted on here a while ago, just wondered if still the same etc.

markcf83

Quote from: Busboy105 on July 23, 2020, 10:41:09 AM
The head office could stay at Bordesley. Just because the garage is closing doesn't mean the head office has to move. Don't think it will affect the management that much. BC only has 3 services, Lea Hall has way more when it closed in 2010.
[/quote

Slightly off topic but Arriva North West has a head office at Aintree on the site of a former garage for Ribble. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Westy

Is this what used to be refered to as 'North Division', 'South Division' & 'East Division'?

Gareth

Quote from: Westy on August 05, 2020, 09:47:11 PM
Is this what used to be refered to as 'North Division', 'South Division' & 'East Division'?

In WMPTE days South was ex BCT. East was ex Coventry and North was ex Black Country.

It was restructured in about 1986, but I can't remember what was what and how it differs to today.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on August 05, 2020, 09:52:09 PM
In WMPTE days South was ex BCT. East was ex Coventry and North was ex Black Country.

It was restructured in about 1986, but I can't remember what was what and how it differs to today.
West Bromwich was South division when I started in 1978

monkeyjoe

So are the structures:-

Cv/yw/ag
Bc/pb/wa
Pn/wb/wv

D10

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 05, 2020, 11:39:17 PM
So are the structures:-

Cv/yw/ag
Bc/pb/wa
Pn/wb/wv

I think this all depends on what function of the company it is. Some things are done centrally and there are separate areas for Operations and Engineering.

Certainly I don't think you can say anyone is over any subgroup of garages as such, and this is from said from someone who works for a central department.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: D10 on August 06, 2020, 08:38:43 PM
I think this all depends on what function of the company it is. Some things are done centrally and there are separate areas for Operations and Engineering.

Certainly I don't think you can say anyone is over any subgroup of garages as such, and this is from said from someone who works for a central department.

Didn't I read somewhere that one general manager oversaw the garages as quoted highlighted, I might be getting confused though. Thanks.

D10

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 06, 2020, 09:34:25 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that one general manager oversaw the garages as quoted highlighted, I might be getting confused though. Thanks.

The GMs in their latter days use to look after Operational matters only, although when I started at the company on the 00's they did pretty much run everything at one or two garages which is what I think you have in mind.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: D10 on August 06, 2020, 09:51:11 PM
The GMs in their latter days use to look after Operational matters only, although when I started at the company on the 00's they did pretty much run everything at one or two garages which is what I think you have in mind.

Ok thanks so is it one Gm that runs BC/By/pb/wa  and another for cv/ag/yw

D10

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 06, 2020, 09:57:39 PM
Ok thanks so is it one Gm that runs BC/By/pb/wa  and another for cv/ag/yw

No the post of GM doesn't exist anymore. There is the relevant management needed at each garage, reporting into the respective director.

monkeyjoe

I see thanks and are the directors responsible for a cluster or garages ie Brum / Cov / Black Country etc? Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk