News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Air Conditioning

Started by PhageyMcPhage, June 23, 2024, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhageyMcPhage

It is about time that buses came with air con as standard. Drivers deserve better working conditions in summer and passengers don't want to travel in a mobile greenhouse. It is now standard in cars, trains and trams. Buses are way behind the curve.

MW

Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on June 23, 2024, 06:41:43 PMIt is about time that buses came with air con as standard. Drivers deserve better working conditions in summer and passengers don't want to travel in a mobile greenhouse. It is now standard in cars, trains and trams. Buses are way behind the curve.

It's not viable to install A/C on service buses.

How would you pay for it? Better yet, who will pay for it?

Steve3229vp

Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on June 23, 2024, 06:41:43 PMIt is about time that buses came with air con as standard. Drivers deserve better working conditions in summer and passengers don't want to travel in a mobile greenhouse. It is now standard in cars, trains and trams. Buses are way behind the curve.
I'm sure the new electrics have air conditioning

PhageyMcPhage

Quote from: MW on June 23, 2024, 06:47:30 PMIt's not viable to install A/C on service buses.

How would you pay for it? Better yet, who will pay for it?
Better working conditions for drivers reduces turnover reduces cost.

Getting people out of their cars and using the bus instead will increase income but they won't if the alternative is travelling in a greenhouse. I drive more in summer because the car has aircon to avoid hot buses.

Yes it is viable. The big manufacturers offer it.

Tony

Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on June 23, 2024, 07:00:14 PMBetter working conditions for drivers reduces turnover reduces cost.

Getting people out of their cars and using the bus instead will increase income but they won't if the alternative is travelling in a greenhouse. I drive more in summer because the car has aircon to avoid hot buses.

Yes it is viable. The big manufacturers offer it.
Air conditioning works in an enclosed space, opening the doors every 50 seconds. The amount of fuel it uses alone makes it unviable on the majority of local bus routes 

Stu

Are you by chance referring to an article I posted on my website and shared on Facebook today?

https://wmbu.org.uk/2024/06/why-dont-buses-have-air-conditioning/

Aircon works and is effective in cars, because they have a smaller interior cabin space. It's also useful for coaches and trains, because they have no windows that passengers can open, also they make fewer stops to let warmer air in.

As for buses, I believe it has been tried before, but for the reason Tony states above, it was soon dropped. I notice on some of the ex-Coventry Enviro400s, they still have the evaporator housing installed above the staircase on the top-deck ceiling.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PhageyMcPhage

No. There was a discussion on the Chaserider thread about drivers driving with the doors open. I started a new topic as a follow on.

Your article is not well thought through.

The climate is changing. We are getting more temperature extremes. Public transport needs to keep up with that.

How do you propose getting people out of cars onto the bus when the choice is a 30 degree saloon temperature vs an air conditioned car or Uber?

Stu

Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on June 23, 2024, 08:11:24 PMNo. There was a discussion on the Chaserider thread about drivers driving with the doors open. I started a new topic as a follow on.

Your article is not well thought through.

The climate is changing. We are getting more temperature extremes. Public transport needs to keep up with that.

How do you propose getting people out of cars onto the bus when the choice is a 30 degree saloon temperature vs an air conditioned car or Uber?
Oh I see, that's what originally prompted me to write my article! :laugh:

Sorry, it's just that your OP sounded like a couple of the comments that got left on Facebook! :rolleyes:
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk