News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Traffic lights / traffic flow Bham city centre.

Started by B.C Driver, April 08, 2017, 12:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C Driver

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2017, 01:10:08 PM
The Albert Street lights, although not an official crossing, people do cross in front of the 97 stop when those lights are on red. The setting for the delayed start are a DfT requirement for the layout.

The two pedestrian crossings by the tunnel are linked together always both change together. This is done so traffic coming up the side of Selfridges only has to stop once, but both will change if only one is pressed.

If you are driving along Smallbrook Queensway towards the tunnel and a taxi turns right from the other way in front of you illegally you could put a near miss report in.

I can assure you the pedestrian lights at the end of the tunnel change automatically even if a pedestrian doesnt press the button. Just stopping at these can delay you getting through the next maze of lights etc etc.
If they are programmed to change automatically at least reset them for quieter times.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

MW

Quote from: B.C Driver on April 09, 2017, 01:45:50 PM
I can assure you the pedestrian lights at the end of the tunnel change automatically even if a pedestrian doesnt press the button. Just stopping at these can delay you getting through the next maze of lights etc etc.
If they are programmed to change automatically at least reset them for quieter times.

You're right. It's noticeable in the night.

Tony

Quote from: B.C Driver on April 09, 2017, 01:45:50 PM

What I meant was if someone presses the set in front of the 50 stop, the ones by the Pavilions will also change and vice versa

j789

Tony, do you have any input into the lights at Northfield by the Black Horse pub. Those lights are horrendous at rush hour and don't let out more than a few vehicles from Northfield high street because the second set of lights further down is on red. The bypass traffic always has priority as the second lights do seem to be change to green when the bypass first set change. This causes a lot of delays to buses, has taken me 20 minutes to get through there before.

Tony

Quote from: j789 on April 09, 2017, 02:51:23 PM
Tony, do you have any input into the lights at Northfield by the Black Horse pub. Those lights are horrendous at rush hour and don't let out more than a few vehicles from Northfield high street because the second set of lights further down is on red. The bypass traffic always has priority as the second lights do seem to be change to green when the bypass first set change. This causes a lot of delays to buses, has taken me 20 minutes to get through there before.

I do, and I have got the High Street a lot of extra time up to 15:30, but if you give it more time in the peak it screws the whole area up.
When they are ' on line' (sometimes the 3G signal that connects them to the control room fails) It is set so that the next set at Great Stone Road go red just as the High Street opens. This is done for two reasons, First having them on green at the same time as the By-pass means the highest volume of traffic gets through each change, but also means that space should be empty so all the traffic that gets out in the 13 seconds the lights are on green has somewhere to go to get maximum vehicles out in those 13 seconds

j789

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2017, 03:24:47 PM
I do, and I have got the High Street a lot of extra time up to 15:30, but if you give it more time in the peak it screws the whole area up.
When they are ' on line' (sometimes the 3G signal that connects them to the control room fails) It is set so that the next set at Great Stone Road go red just as the High Street opens. This is done for two reasons, First having them on green at the same time as the By-pass means the highest volume of traffic gets through each change, but also means that space should be empty so all the traffic that gets out in the 13 seconds the lights are on green has somewhere to go to get maximum vehicles out in those 13 seconds

That is interesting to hear. It does seem though that, during the rush hour particularly, very rarely does all the bypass traffic get through the second set of lights before it changes to red so there is then a backlog of traffic up to the first set meaning only a few vehicles can get out of the High street. Since the 144 stops changed to stopping outside the swimming baths it is slightly better as I can use the nearside lane as well but still annoying. I guess the general road layout means its something that can't realistically be altered.

B.C Driver

Quote from: j789 on April 09, 2017, 02:51:23 PM

Yes those are a pain! The traffic coming from city using the bypass often gets 'boxed in' as the ligjts at Gt Stone Rd change to red. Resulting in vehicles unable to turn left often stuck there for a few changes of lights.

Re- the Moor St lights. Is it possible the pedestrian lights at the 50 stop could be pressed without making the ones change by the tunnel? Would help...
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

karl724223

Peak hour morning and night can you get traffic wardens up broad st to move the cars parked on double yellow lines  mainly by sainsburys local in bound and  outbound by the traffic lights broad st sheepcote street junction mainly the van from the kebab shop that's there nearly all day blocking the outbound lane right after the lights  thanks boss@Tony

karl724223

Can you get brum high ways to look at the road surface broad street sheepcote street junction  broad street outbound after the lights middle of the road is sinking really bad  thanks boss again@Tony

karl724223

Quote from: karl724223 on April 09, 2017, 04:55:59 PM
Peak hour morning and night can you get traffic wardens up broad st to move the cars parked on double yellow lines  mainly by sainsburys local in bound and  outbound by the traffic lights broad st sheepcote street junction mainly the van from the kebab shop that's there nearly all day blocking the outbound lane right after the lights  thanks boss
@Tony

BU07 LGO

A bad junction is the lights by the arboretum on the bus lane at top of Lichfield street in Walsall. Some nights the traffic builds up on the ring road and blocks the junction! Ive been stuck there for 25 mins the one night

Tony

Quote from: BU07 LGO on April 18, 2017, 01:09:24 PM
A bad junction is the lights by the arboretum on the bus lane at top of Lichfield street in Walsall. Some nights the traffic builds up on the ring road and blocks the junction! Ive been stuck there for 25 mins the one night

The control room I work in only does Birmingham

B.C Driver

Pedestrian lights at Moor St Qway by end of tunnel and by X1 stop are still changing regardless of being pressed. Hard enough to keep to time as it is without having to stop unnecessarily.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

Jack

The Aldridge Road/Harrier Way Traffic Lights in Perry Barr are awful. They stay on Green on both sides of Aldridge for at least 5 miuntes. Causing a nice long line of traffic on Harrier Way. When the lights turn green on Harrier Way they only let 6 vehicles get throw and turn red.

Think the timing has lost sync.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk