News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Tracline-65

Started by wembley86, January 12, 2016, 06:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Bryan on January 15, 2016, 07:02:39 PM
I stand to be corrected, but I suspect their detailed investigation onto the history of Metrobus A112 WVP (8112) was incorrect. After all, can anyone imagine Travel West Midlands putting a brand new bus with guide wheels on any service other than the 65 on which it was to work.

When they had guide wheels fitted they didn't actually meet the then regulations, so special dispensation was given by the Department of Transport for them to run on the 65 route. They were not actually legal on any other route, so didn't ever run anywhere else in service.

They initially were used on Motor Show shuttles at the NEC, but did not have the guide wheels fitted for that use

wembley86

Quote from: Stevo on January 12, 2016, 07:15:00 PM
On deregulation in 1986 WMT did not register the Sunday 65 and it was gained by Midland Red West with non-guided Leyland Nationals.  Maintenance of the track and the guided vehicles was a cost the new West Midlands Travel didn't want. The track was a complete waste of time anyway. Passengers had to cross a fairly busy road to access bus stops and there were traffic lights galore which slowed progress. The Tracline was more of a WMPTE experiment than a contribution to bus travel in Erdington.

The Hagley Road is a busy road in rush hour and a bottle neck at five ways, I know where the stops will be but where about is difficult to see.

37351ml

I can see where the Radleys/Hamstead connection has been made. The "countless nights of research" must have involved googling the bus registration, and there in the second picture it shows 2972 at the top of the bull ring en route to hamstead on the 17.

Just been reading about the new guided bus route in Manchester being operated by first under the premium branding vantage seriously high spec ,most impressive we can only dream about down here in brum.

My question is there any routes in the West Midlands that could be converted into the guided bus system, I quite like idea it's vastly cheaper than trams as well. It should offer super smooth ride rather than the pot hole infested roads of brum, I know there is network of disused railway lines around the West Midlands but I don't know if any could provide useful links.

CL

Quote from: 2900 on February 03, 2016, 04:29:52 PM
Just been reading about the new guided bus route in Manchester being operated by first under the premium branding vantage seriously high spec ,most impressive we can only dream about down here in brum.

My question is there any routes in the West Midlands that could be converted into the guided bus system, I quite like idea it's vastly cheaper than trams as well. It should offer super smooth ride rather than the pot hole infested roads of brum, I know there is network of disused railway lines around the West Midlands but I don't know if any could provide useful links.
I see potential for the Hagley Road; which may eventually happen, if/when Sprint lifts off...

But alternatively, the Bristol Road or Coventry Road, I suppose? - wishful thinking?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Liberator9

Quote from: 2900 on February 03, 2016, 04:29:52 PM

@2900

Agree with you there - that Vantage brand looks very impressive. That is certainly the advantage of the guided bus system - not restricted by tracks nor the overhead wires, and so is far cheaper. The old Harborne Railway line could be one candidate; another the old South Staffs line between Wolverhampton, Stourbridge and Brierley hill. Also runs from Stourbridge through to Walsall, via Dudley, Dudley Port, Wednesbury, Bescot and Walsall. If you look on google maps can still see the old cuttings and tunnel that it used to run along. Believe that is earmarked for the trams, at some point in the far future...

Other Walsall Tony

Quote from: Liberator9 on February 03, 2016, 05:28:15 PM
@2900

Agree with you there - that Vantage brand looks very impressive. That is certainly the advantage of the guided bus system - not restricted by tracks nor the overhead wires, and so is far cheaper. The old Harborne Railway line could be one candidate; another the old South Staffs line between Wolverhampton, Stourbridge and Brierley hill. Also runs from Stourbridge through to Walsall, via Dudley, Dudley Port, Wednesbury, Bescot and Walsall. If you look on google maps can still see the old cuttings and tunnel that it used to run along. Believe that is earmarked for the trams, at some point in the far future...

I can't see the locals being very keen on the old Harborne line being used as anything other than the walkway it is now.
Tony

The Real 4778

Quote from: Liberator9 on February 03, 2016, 05:28:15 PM
@2900

Leave that old South Staffs/ OW&W alignment alone, it's required for heavy rail reinstatement  ;)

As for the Harborne Branch - it's not physically capable without widening, and it may be segregated in part, but the route would have to share the streets at both the Dudley Road and Harborne end.
Don't you start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk