News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The difference in the Plaxtons

Started by MW, November 29, 2015, 03:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/17858101019

I've always wondered why some had bigger rear windows than others. It seems the later ones had the bigger rear window.

Also, look at the number plate of the Plaxton on the right. Did not know it was re-registered.

John

4106 upwards I think have the larger back window. No idea why. One thought is that Volvo moved some engine components from the right side so Plaxton made the window bigger to let more light into the lower deck. But the radiator is mounted on this side, so I don't know unless it was the radiator was made smaller

The date of first tax might be the reason why 4121 was re-registered, the same reason as the later E200/E400 MMCs, 4300-4 and I believe some of the Scania bendi-buses were delivered with '04' registrations.

One thing I have always wondered why the rear plates were not mounted in the recess in the rear bumper, as seen on 4084. One of the earliest bus memories I can remember was following 51 branded Presidents up the Walsall Road in our dad's car when I was about 10 and noticing the empty numberplate recess. Most of the other Presidents you see with other companies have them mounted there

That picture brings back memories of the presidents when new to Hockley , metrobus rear lights with silver surrounds looked dated for these buses the later black surround with led,s were much better suited. 4121 was it repainted into Airbus livery then. Hard to believe there time here is almost up.
4023 I read somewhere on here is first Volvo b7tl a prototype if this the case surely a candidate for preservation then.

There was a plaxton at west brom a while back with experimental projector headlights similar to the enviro 400s I can't the recall fleet number they looked a million times better than those alx400 round headlights that were fitted on refurbs.

John

Quote from: 2900 on November 29, 2015, 10:21:31 AM
There was a plaxton at west brom a while back with experimental projector headlights similar to the enviro 400s I can't the recall fleet number they looked a million times better than those alx400 round headlights that were fitted on refurbs.

@2900
Was it 4086? See the bottom picture of Tony's at Perry Barr.
http://www.wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4001-4224/4086.html

Pretty sure it went to West Brom with these headlights but had them changed to the ALX400 style lights not too long after

Stevo

I'm a bit baffled by 4121's reg. Its chassis number is much later than 4023 on, so there's no reason to think it was to enter service earlier. Perhaps all the W reg Plaxtons were originally to be V reg, or perhaps TWM wanted to see the 'dual purpose' seating of the Airbus vehicles earlier so it was completed before the others.

Gareth

I used to catch Plaxtons when brand new on the Sutton services. A couple of the W reg examples operated as a V plate before they were changed. Was very confused catching the same bus within a small space of time and having a different registration.

Cheers John that's what I was looking for , those lights look the business , still looks very modern with those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk