News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Swift Card reader inside bus stop shelters??

Started by :D, April 24, 2015, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suavegarv

Noticed one in the 11a bus shelter opposite Tesco,by the petrol station at the Swan Island earlier this evening.

:D

There's android phone app that does exact same thing as these readers.

Tried it on my Nexus 5, it works well and is faster than these readers. All you need is an android phone with NFC technology.

Gareth

I'm all for modern, fast technology, but if the readers are like London's, they are fast anyway. A couple of seconds. Why would you need faster than a couple of seconds?

:D

Quote from: Gareth on May 16, 2015, 02:46:28 PM
I'm all for modern, fast technology, but if the readers are like London's, they are fast anyway. A couple of seconds. Why would you need faster than a couple of seconds?

They are quite slow, slower than the readers on buses. A scan takes roughly 10 seconds for me, and that's without updating the data on the card. I'd imagine it would take ~15-20 seconds in total including updating the data on the card. The London ones would take less than few seconds.

Sure, it doesn't really make a huge difference in terms of catching bus or whatever but it isn't easy having to hold the card on the reader in awkward position and it would cause problem if there's a queue.

It doesn't reflect well on Centro if their technology is inferior to the one in London considering theirs are newer one.

Stu

Quote from: suavegarv on April 27, 2015, 11:28:21 PM
Noticed one in the 11a bus shelter opposite Tesco,by the petrol station at the Swan Island earlier this evening.

I saw one a couple of weeks ago at the Auckland Road stop on Stratford Road in Sparkbrook, but the screen just showed 'Coming Soon'. When I was up at the Swan earlier, it appeared to be working and an information poster had been put up. These devices appear to be known as 'Collectors'.

And yes, there is an app for Android devices, that does the same job, you just need an NFC capable smartphone or tablet with an internet connection:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ecebs.android.centro

Doesn't appear to be an iPhone app yet though, but I'm sure that's in the works. (Do iPhones have NFC capability?)

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

CL

Quote from: Stu on May 25, 2015, 09:10:09 PM
I saw one a couple of weeks ago at the Auckland Road stop on Stratford Road in Sparkbrook, but the screen just showed 'Coming Soon'. When I was up at the Swan earlier, it appeared to be working and an information poster had been put up. These devices appear to be known as 'Collectors'.

And yes, there is an app for Android devices, that does the same job, you just need an NFC capable smartphone or tablet with an internet connection:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ecebs.android.centro

Doesn't appear to be an iPhone app yet though, but I'm sure that's in the works. (Do iPhones have NFC capability?)

Only the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus. Then again, it's really only ever used for 'Apple Pay' - and NFC Payment is being 'phased' in, i'd say... - with Contactless Payment cards becoming the norm.

It'll be nice to see them develop an app for either iPhone or the Apple Watch.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk