News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Midland Metro in Digbeth.

Started by P419 EJW, October 09, 2014, 10:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberator9

Certainly trams could not replace the mainline services currently in service, which are both successful, popular and comfortable. I would rather see money put into reinstating local passenger services along the Camp Hill line via King's Heath - this would open up potential for new demand and maybe enable some XC services to finish at Moor Street instead. The only issue is that the 50 may risk losing some of its popularity as the main way to get into the centre.

trident4370

I don't really think the way the 50 is going now is great, there is a stalemate with TGB and Diamond both competing to carry the least amount of passengers possible and service has suffered as a result. The only real benefit to the route has come from NX in the form of 24 hour operation. I think the reopening of our rail line would be the kick up the backside the 50 needs and I think there are more things you could do with a rail line that you can't with trams, but knowing Centro the plan will just get cancelled altogether.
I also disagree with the idea of completely replacing the Tyseley lines with Metro. Travelling to Stratford Upon Avon for example, not only would journey times be increased at the Birmingham end but most of the route is Rural so you wouldn't gain much past Wythall, even the current request stops aren't always used.

Stevo

In an ideal world the 172s to Henley and Stratford would use the same lines as the trams to Whitlocks End, but run non-stop to Shirley - this track sharing is what happens in Germany. So journey times to Stratford would be quicker from Moor Street and there'd be a better local service. But I don't fool myself that this will happen soon, if ever...

trident4370

Better local service for who? Journey times would still increase for commuters travelling to Birmingham from the outer edges of the city and the fares would no doubt have to go up to pay for the electrification and new tram stock! Oh and then there is all the disruption to the trains it would cause whilst being set up. You would also be cutting the local connections to Stratford and stations towards Stourbridge if trains were running non stop to Shirley/Dorridge. If it ain't broke why try and fix it? Whilst I agree the current Metro network is a non existent farce, why not use any new lines to cater for people who have no fast option at the moment?

Stevo

You'd replace a 20 minute frequency service with, say, a tram every 8 minutes, and with more stops more people could use the service, bringing good public transport to places like Baldwin's Lane and Robin Hood Lane. As the existing tramway demonstrates, the quicker acceleration and braking of a tram means the overall journey time is little different.  But I agree that we need new lines away from the existing rail network.  The tramway would give connections across the city as far as The Hawthorns, so few connections would be severed and many additional travel possibilities created.

trident4370

If trains are every 20 minutes now how will an 8 or even 10 minute frequency on each line pay for itself anyway? You have extra stops yes but they are residential so passenger loadings would just be a trickle during the daytimes, ML1 has lots of shopping areas like West Brom, Wednesbury and Bilston on the route to boost short local shopping journeys but on this side of town it is mostly residential, even Shirley station is nowhere near Shirley High St so you'd be mainly relying on people going to Brum. You would also be flooding the line with a tram every 4 minutes once you are off the branch lines which would just be too much. It would still cut lots of connections for people who travel to the Black Country, Worcestershire and Warwickshire and for people traveling as far as The Hawthorns they now have to endure a longer route through Birmingham aswell as a load of extra stops on the old train lines and pay more for their trouble. Are we really suggesting spending millions on a project that will just benefit the minority and inconvenience the majority, then again not much different to whats happened in the City Centre now I suppose. If any new Metro lines are to go anywhere, Coventry Road should be the priority but I think it is important to concentrate on reopening the railway lines through Kings Heath and Castle Vale and bring some genuine NEW connections and options to people instead of just messing up a perfectly good system for the sake of it. It also would cost less but benefit more. Rant over, apologies for going on a bit.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: trident4370 on October 18, 2014, 12:09:59 PM
If any new Metro lines are to go anywhere, Coventry Road should be the priority but I think it is important to concentrate on reopening the railway lines through Kings Heath and Castle Vale and bring some genuine NEW connections and options to people instead of just messing up a perfectly good system for the sake of it. It also would cost less but benefit more. Rant over, apologies for going on a bit.

Yep, sounds good to me. Save the 'heavy rail' lines for more versatile 'heavy rail' applications & keep the trams on the street.

wembley86

It would be nice when this extension happens, if NXMM could use Liverpool St bus depot as a seceondry depot for trams that finish late on the digbeth end of the line.

P419 EJW

Update: Metro tram route to run through Digbeth past coach station and Custard Factory. "Residents, commuters and businesses were offered two options for the future tram route and 74 per cent who replied chose High Street Deritend over the Fazeley Street alternative."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/metro-tram-route-run-through-8873832?ICID=FB-Birm-main

winston

Quote from: P419 EJW on March 19, 2015, 12:03:58 PM
Update: Metro tram route to run through Digbeth past coach station and Custard Factory. "Residents, commuters and businesses were offered two options for the future tram route and 74 per cent who replied chose High Street Deritend over the Fazeley Street alternative."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/metro-tram-route-run-through-8873832?ICID=FB-Birm-main

The proposed Park & Ride site in Adderley St (i.e. Opposite BC garage side entrance) still appears to be using the current Adderley St bus park. There's no immediate rush as it is not proposed to be open before 2023, but BC will need to find a new home for around half of its fleet.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Winston on March 19, 2015, 12:10:38 PM
The proposed Park & Ride site in Adderley St (i.e. Opposite BC garage side entrance) still appears to be using the current Adderley St bus park. There's no immediate rush as it is not proposed to be open before 2023, but BC will need to find a new home for around half of its fleet.

BC only has 6 years of life left anyway as apparently its under a compulsory order from the council. This is what numerous sources have told me and not just heresy.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

winston

Quote from: Liverpool Street on March 21, 2015, 01:37:17 PM
BC only has 6 years of life left anyway as apparently its under a compulsory order from the council. This is what numerous sources have told me and not just heresy.

Tbh, I was always under the impression that BC was to be compulsory purchased as part of the East Side re-development planned years ago, which still hasn't see the light of day

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk