News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bordesley GarageC

Started by arrifirststage, May 05, 2012, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suavegarv

the number 8 used to be operated by metrobuses back in the day

Gareth

Unless the route has changed, then there is no reason (apart from demand or garage allocations) that double deckers couldnt be used on the 8 again. It was Metrobus operated from BC, then when it moved to Hockley it seemed to be a mixture of Metrobus and Lynx. When Washwood Heath had running boards on the 8, it was also possible to see Fleetlines on there, a type not seen on the 8 for many years. After WH closed, it went back to 100% HY, still with Metrobuses, but mostly Lynxes.
The Mercs came along, but sometimes on rare occasions, a President would turn up.
In recent years, I, personally have only seen Omnilinks on the 8 when BC operates it on Boxing day (although I believe there have been other occasions) and a couple of times an ALX200 Dart (when at BY) would show up.

MW

Excellent, if only double deckers would fit inside BY!

Stu

There is a low bridge on Highgate Road, the older Metrobuses would have just fit under it, but the current double-decks are all too high to go under.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

nx4737

Quote from: Michael on May 07, 2012, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: nx4737 on May 07, 2012, 08:48:36 PM
Omni's on the 8... Imagine it, what a waste.  :'(

How is that a waste?

I think the 8 deserves to be converted to a double deck route as it gets very very busy at peaks, but I think there is a low bridge near Saltley Gate, but then there was a President on it once, so it may be fine. Too much for the Mercs, but they still cope with it.

I mean a waste, as in decent buses used on a not so decent route.

MW

Quote from: nx4737 on May 08, 2012, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: Michael on May 07, 2012, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: nx4737 on May 07, 2012, 08:48:36 PM
Omni's on the 8... Imagine it, what a waste.  :'(

How is that a waste?

I think the 8 deserves to be converted to a double deck route as it gets very very busy at peaks, but I think there is a low bridge near Saltley Gate, but then there was a President on it once, so it may be fine. Too much for the Mercs, but they still cope with it.

I mean a waste, as in decent buses used on a not so decent route.

Ah, it's not too bad though. It just goes in some s*** areas, but as a route it's okay. It suffers from a lot of traffic along the route and the frequency could do with increasing as the Mercs simply cannot cope at peaks.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on May 08, 2012, 07:58:48 AM
There is a low bridge on Highgate Road, the older Metrobuses would have just fit under it, but the current double-decks are all too high to go under.

That is rubbish

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2012, 07:16:59 PM
Quote from: Stu on May 08, 2012, 07:58:48 AM

That is rubbish

I know what bridge it is, it's right by my college, however if a President can fit under there (one of the tallest deckers NXWM have, if not the tallest) then anything can!

Roy

According to Google Street View, Highgate Road bridge has a clearance of 14 ft 3 ins.  I don't know how high a President is, but a Trident wouldn't fit as it is 14 ft 5 ins high.

PM

President is same height maybe even a bit higher...not sure...

MW

Quote from: Peter123 on May 08, 2012, 08:37:59 PM
President is same height maybe even a bit higher...not sure...

The bridge is taller than that. A NBB bus driver told me, back in the day, on the school bus. He was an ex PB driver for TWM, and said that the bridges in Birmingham are taller than it says, for safety reasons. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Tridents are not as tall as Presidents as Tridents fit on the 5, whilst Presidents don't.

MW

Hold on, that bridge is 100% tall enough. NIS Presidents run through there when terminated at Five Ways on the 1 and returning to the depot. Definately!

PM

Quote from: Michael on May 08, 2012, 08:48:57 PM
Tridents are not as tall as Presidents as Tridents fit on the 5, whilst Presidents don't.
[/quote]

Thankyou i thought the presidents were taller than the spectras of both heights and the volvo b7tls/alx 400 but didnt know they were taller than tridents.

winston

I've only got the following ex BC Omnilinks now transferred in to Bordesley Garage:

1789?, 1801-5 & 1808-11

I would have thought that more would have moved over by now as the majority of BC's B7RLE's are in service, does anyone know of any others?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk