News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NXWM's Super-X Displays

Started by CL, February 07, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Smith

Are they messing with the destis again? 99-branded 98 just came past, displaying just 98 Rubery (left aligned) on the side display

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Russ Smith on January 03, 2015, 12:05:53 AM
Are they messing with the destis again? 99-branded 98 just came past, displaying just 98 Rubery (left aligned) on the side display

Was it 801? If so that has faulty destinations.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Bryan

Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2014, 06:50:03 PM
Quote from: don on December 18, 2014, 02:46:59 PM
I think the problem I have with all of this is how visible these displays are to intending passengers, and particularly those with visual impairment.

1) Showing the route number on the left side of the front (above the driver) is not helpful, because passengers get on the other side and mostly approach the bus from that side - so why put it furthest away?

It is not on the left (above the driver)?

I always prefer the route number displayed above the driver for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I always look for the route number, then the destination, reading from left to right as is the norm.

Secondly, the route number is always the full height of the display, so the smaller lettering of the destination and any via details are placed closer to the intending passenger, which I would have thought would be better for the visibly impaired, especially with the number of short workings in the West Midlands.

CL

Quote from: Bryan on January 03, 2015, 02:20:23 PM
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2014, 06:50:03 PM
Quote from: don on December 18, 2014, 02:46:59 PM
I think the problem I have with all of this is how visible these displays are to intending passengers, and particularly those with visual impairment.

1) Showing the route number on the left side of the front (above the driver) is not helpful, because passengers get on the other side and mostly approach the bus from that side - so why put it furthest away?

It is not on the left (above the driver)?

I always prefer the route number displayed above the driver for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I always look for the route number, then the destination, reading from left to right as is the norm.

Secondly, the route number is always the full height of the display, so the smaller lettering of the destination and any via details are placed closer to the intending passenger, which I would have thought would be better for the visibly impaired, especially with the number of short workings in the West Midlands.

Other way round for me... Unless they're rollerblind displays, I don't mind either way - ironically, they're my favourite type of destination displays. Followed closely by FlipDots. I wouldn't say i'm not too keen on LED displays, but it certainly can't trump the two top spots. ;)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stu

Someone at NX seems to have 'nailed' it with the design of the Super-X displays.

Seen today on some AG, BC and PB buses, that have the destination in larger bolder text, as before, with the via points scrolling nicely along the bottom line. Just looks a bit odd on the 31, which only shows 'Solihull' as the bold text is quite condensed, maybe they could change it to 'Solihull Town Centre' as it would appear to be able to fit now.

Much easier to see from a distance now!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kiewii

Apparently they have now spread to Dundee, which should make them in line with the Stagecoach destination displays.

trident4370

4720s been reprogrammed with the route number back above the driver, looks much better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk