News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Onboard passenger announcements

Started by Stu, December 21, 2014, 07:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Something that's occurred to me on several occasions, that I think would be a useful feature for buses to have.

We've all been there before, on a bus when an announcement comes through on the radio, and it's turned up really loud so everyone can hear it... that kind of announcement to drivers that a diversion has been put in place at short notice etc etc. But if the radio is turned down, then only the driver can hear it.

Wouldn't it be useful to have some sort of on-bus tannoy system, where such useful announcements could be made to passengers about disruptions to services, diversions etc? At least passengers could potentially plan for short notice disruptions (and not get jumpy when the bus suddenly goes a different route to they expect!)

For example: "Notice to all passengers: due to a police incident on Yardley Road in Acocks Green, services 11A and 11C are being diverted via Warwick Road and Stockfield Road. Passengers are advised to change either at Acocks Green Village or Swan Island."

Of course there will always be a handful of people who don't listen because they've got their headphones on, but it potentially avoids confrontations between passengers and drivers, and just offers another level of customer service.

Any thoughts?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4609

Don't they do that on the I-bus system in London?

John

Quote from: Stu on December 21, 2014, 07:10:47 PM
Something that's occurred to me on several occasions, that I think would be a useful feature for buses to have.

We've all been there before, on a bus when an announcement comes through on the radio, and it's turned up really loud so everyone can hear it... that kind of announcement to drivers that a diversion has been put in place at short notice etc etc. But if the radio is turned down, then only the driver can hear it.

Wouldn't it be useful to have some sort of on-bus tannoy system, where such useful announcements could be made to passengers about disruptions to services, diversions etc? At least passengers could potentially plan for short notice disruptions (and not get jumpy when the bus suddenly goes a different route to they expect!)

For example: "Notice to all passengers: due to a police incident on Yardley Road in Acocks Green, services 11A and 11C are being diverted via Warwick Road and Stockfield Road. Passengers are advised to change either at Acocks Green Village or Swan Island."

Of course there will always be a handful of people who don't listen because they've got their headphones on, but it potentially avoids confrontations between passengers and drivers, and just offers another level of customer service.

Any thoughts?

I've always found it easier to tell passengers of a short notice diversion, like you say Stu, it stops people coming up to you asking where are you going and getting funny with you. The ones I recall was when I was on the 28, I had to use the A47 from Spitfire Island to the Bromford Island, and use the A4040 to Fox & Goose, I just told passengers this and they either got off there or stopped on till the Fox. Mind you, I only had a Solo to shout up to people at the back! And on the 33, where we had to use Walsall Road/Church Lane, I just quickly popped upstairs and told people

Its a good idea to have a tannoy system though, I don't know if any other bus company use them for that purpose

Alex

Quote from: Stu on December 21, 2014, 07:10:47 PM

Any thoughts?

I think that it's quite a good idea, but there would be a problem, as there are most likely to be people who would have headphones on, and wouldn't pay attention to the announcements, and would still be surprised when there bus goes the wrong way, even though its been over a loudspeaker
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

The enviro 200s have been fitted with several loud speakers through out the saloon, I did wander for what purpose they had been fitted for. Nx seem to order basic buses I wouldnt have thought these speakers are a standard fit.

Liberator9

Perhaps they've specified them in case they introduce next bus announcements at a later date on some of the routes, other than the 22/23/1.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Liberator9 on December 22, 2014, 11:58:28 AM
Perhaps they've specified them in case they introduce next bus announcements at a later date on some of the routes, other than the 22/23/1.

Exactly.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Stu

The funny thing is I've seen such speakers on older buses too, I've seen some on Presidents on the side of the staircase.

Quote from: Nathan on December 21, 2014, 07:21:19 PM

Whenever I've been on a bus in London, its just a pre-programmed voice that announces the service number, the destination and the next stop or current stop, same as displayed on the interior LED displays.

If the driver changes the terminus, then the destination changes in the announcement. Bit disconcerting for the novice though, last time I was in London, I got the 30 from Hackney Wick which started off going to Marble Arch (I was changing at Euston), then over the course of the journey the destination changed to Warren Street, Portman Square, back to Marble Arch and then Warren Street again! My phone battery was dead, so I wasn't sure if Warren Street was before or after Euston.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on December 22, 2014, 05:28:26 PM
The funny thing is I've seen such speakers on older buses too, I've seen some on Presidents on the side of the staircase.

Quote from: Nathan on December 21, 2014, 07:21:19 PM

Whenever I've been on a bus in London, its just a pre-programmed voice that announces the service number, the destination and the next stop or current stop, same as displayed on the interior LED displays.

If the driver changes the terminus, then the destination changes in the announcement. Bit disconcerting for the novice though, last time I was in London, I got the 30 from Hackney Wick which started off going to Marble Arch (I was changing at Euston), then over the course of the journey the destination changed to Warren Street, Portman Square, back to Marble Arch and then Warren Street again! My phone battery was dead, so I wasn't sure if Warren Street was before or after Euston.

Through a Freedom of Information act request, i have a CD with all of the London Bus announcements. The announcements are not recorded complete, but are made up of several sections ie: 73 to Stoke Newington is a 3 part announcement. That is why when a bus goes on diversion the announcements usually stop and the display will show *, because the system does not contain the information for the diversion.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Westy

Didnt the 1986 Timesaver Metrobuses have the facillity originally?

Never saw it used though! (Union objecting again, I suppose?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk