News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Metro extension timescales.

Started by RW, January 07, 2015, 02:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Seems like someone else has found money to do the Dudley to Dudley Port bit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-31046970

Stevo

I wonder what a Very Light Rail link is? Parry People Movers as at Stourbridge? The trouble is the old station site is too remote from the town centre and it's a good uphill walk as well. Nobody's going to get on it there.

D10

Quote from: Stevo on January 30, 2015, 08:39:27 PM
I wonder what a Very Light Rail link is? Parry People Movers as at Stourbridge? The trouble is the old station site is too remote from the town centre and it's a good uphill walk as well. Nobody's going to get on it there.

Agree that Dudley Station is too remote. What with the town centre being so run down these days I can't see many people wanting to walk all the way up Castle Hill to the town.

Sounds like this is more a good way for Warwick University to test their ideas out on a decent length of track, I couldn't see them being able to build a track on their campus site in the Coventry green belt, so this former rail line in Dudley would be a fairly uncontroversial place to build something.

Stu

This is very interesting, however I do agree that it would be more useful if it could be built to go 'on-road' from the bottom of Castle Hill up to a more convenient interchange point at the bus station.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mikestone

The LEP web site
;
http://www.blackcountrylep.co.uk/news/%C2%A324m-expansion-of-black-country-growth-deal
;

says nothing about any link to Dudley Port, only the light rail innovation centre.

wembley86

Balfour Betty are saying they are schedule for the Birmingham Ext,  I recall there being two lots of down tools for the chrismas markets in brum, so thats about 10 weeks of no work completed.

Currently gas works/water works are been do on pinfiold street. look like work could be progressing on the centinary square ext

RW

Quote from: wembley86 on August 16, 2015, 03:32:13 PM
Balfour Betty are saying they are schedule for the Birmingham Ext,  I recall there being two lots of down tools for the chrismas markets in brum, so thats about 10 weeks of no work completed.

Currently gas works/water works are been do on pinfiold street. look like work could be progressing on the centinary square ext
Does anyone know for certain whether the work on Pinfold Street is actually in connection with the Centenary Sq. extension. Clearly it is work that would be needed to be done but would Centro sanction the work before a decision on the Extension Public Inquiry has been published? Thought it would have been issued by now but no sign yet apparently!

Stu

Quote from: RW on August 16, 2015, 05:48:50 PM
Does anyone know for certain whether the work on Pinfold Street is actually in connection with the Centenary Sq. extension. Clearly it is work that would be needed to be done but would Centro sanction the work before a decision on the Extension Public Inquiry has been published? Thought it would have been issued by now but no sign yet apparently!

Centro already has approval to build the extension to Centenary Square, the public inquiry/consultation was about amending the proposals so the tram extension could better serve the new Paradise Circus developments.
http://www.centro.org.uk/transport/metro/other-metro-extensions/centenary-square/the-details/

Regardless of the outcome, there will still be a tramline up Pinfold Street. Likewise, approval has been given to extend to Eastside/Digbeth, hence the 'junction' being built at Bull Street/Corporation Street. Better to do these works now before works commence to build the other extensions so as to avoid service disruptions!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

RW

Quote from: Stu on August 16, 2015, 06:39:30 PM
Centro already has approval to build the extension to Centenary Square, the public inquiry/consultation was about amending the proposals so the tram extension could better serve the new Paradise Circus developments.
http://www.centro.org.uk/transport/metro/other-metro-extensions/centenary-square/the-details/

Regardless of the outcome, there will still be a tramline up Pinfold Street. Likewise, approval has been given to extend to Eastside/Digbeth, hence the 'junction' being built at Bull Street/Corporation Street. Better to do these works now before works commence to build the other extensions so as to avoid service disruptions!
Thanks for that Stu. So have Centro got a contractor in place for the extension? Balfour Beatty continuing?

wembley86

also contractors are moving the gas and water pipes on broad st outside city of brum library

BK63 YWP

Wolverhampton's extension decision is due this year according to centro with a few revisions on the terminus due to a grade 2 building. One question when they lay the track down on pipers row wheres the current buses that use it going to get onto their normal line of route i.e. 81, 82, 529 40 79 39 etc
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stevo

When they dug up Pinfold St a couple of months ago on the left going up the barriers had Centro signs so that work was definitely Metro. The current holes haven't got such a sign but it doesn't mean they're not for the Metro, but to muddy the waters the council is doing its own works, something to do with energy.

wembley86

balfour beatty are suspending someworks in september because of the rugby world cup they are saying there will me to many people article attached

http://balfourbeattymidlandmetro.blogspot.co.uk/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk