News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolves - Walsall, First Class?

Started by domino.99, November 15, 2014, 08:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

domino.99

Since the 350's have started to operate the Wolves - Walsall line. Do they still operate first class or not?

Tony

Quote from: NXDom on November 15, 2014, 08:33:36 AM
Since the 350's have started to operate the Wolves - Walsall line. Do they still operate first class or not?

Not at the moment, but from the December timetable change first class is first class

mikestone

Except of course that it is not generally going to be enforced, and when somebody does  decide to do what they pay him for, he's going to get beaten up.

Kevin

So incredibly pointless having first class on local services but never mind...
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on November 16, 2014, 06:31:40 PM
So incredibly pointless having first class on local services but never mind...

Why?
Try taking first class off London commuter services and see what reaction you get
You have been able to buy a First Class nTrain ticket for ages

mikestone

I can't imagine many passengers trading up on the Walsall line given the proportion of trains without first class.

windy miller

Quote from: mikestone on November 16, 2014, 07:36:14 PM
I can't imagine many passengers trading up on the Walsall line given the proportion of trains without first class.

Very true... One thing had occured to me..as a  WM Travel pass holder (Bus/train) if I needed to accompany an elderly first class traveler, how would I upgrade from a free pass to first? :-\ :-\
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on November 21, 2014, 10:40:00 AM

Very true... One thing had occured to me..as a  WM Travel pass holder (Bus/train) if I needed to accompany an elderly first class traveler, how would I upgrade from a free pass to first? :-\ :-\

You should be able to pay an excess fare which would be the difference between the standard and first class fare for the journey made,

So for instance if you wanted to travel First Class from Birmingham to Coventry a Standard anytime single is £4.40, a First anytime single is £6.60 so you should be excessed £2.20.

Any old time railwayman can always do the excesses properly, but I have heard several people who have tried to 'excess' ticket before and had the younger breed of ticket clerks not doing it properly as so few people know the excess rules.

andy

Quote from: Tony on November 21, 2014, 10:52:55 AM

You should be able to pay an excess fare which would be the difference between the standard and first class fare for the journey made,

So for instance if you wanted to travel First Class from Birmingham to Coventry a Standard anytime single is £4.40, a First anytime single is £6.60 so you should be excessed £2.20.

Any old time railwayman can always do the excesses properly, but I have heard several people who have tried to 'excess' ticket before and had the younger breed of ticket clerks not doing it properly as so few people know the excess rules.

Tony, when excessing a ticket to get 1st from standard (or excessing any ticket for any reason) you have to input the original ticket number. So what would you put in for a pass then? If it was issued on Avantix it has one but if issued at a shop or travelshop I don't think there is one.

Tony

Quote from: andy on November 21, 2014, 06:58:31 PM
Quote from: Tony on November 21, 2014, 10:52:55 AM

Tony, when excessing a ticket to get 1st from standard (or excessing any ticket for any reason) you have to input the original ticket number. So what would you put in for a pass then?

The pass serial number? The only reason that number is put in is to pair it up with the original ticket so an inspector knows he has to see the original ticket as well as the excess ticket.

I can't see it is too different to the extra bit I pay to extend my mNetwork pass to Hednesford

domino.99

Is it only 350's on the Wolves to Walsall line now? Or is it still using some 323's?

Sh4318

Quote from: NXDom on December 12, 2014, 12:28:55 PM
Is it only 350's on the Wolves to Walsall line now? Or is it still using some 323's?

From Sunday almost all 350 workings with a few 323s. See the London Midland train thread
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

mikestone

Reverting to the topic the guard on the 15.01 from Walsall on Monday made a "first class ticket holders only in first" announcement - i assumed from Tony's reply there were posters emphasising it from Monday, but I didn't see one.

windy miller

I notice that from the start of the winter timetable the 350xxx LM units almost certainly have a first class facility now that there appears to be a few through services from walsall to Liverpool lime st. ie 07.01am 07.30am and 14.31pm options which cover all local stops to New st and then the usual calls forward to liverpool
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Cheese

Quote from: windy miller on December 16, 2014, 02:11:17 PM

I notice that from the start of the winter timetable the 350xxx LM units almost certainly have a first class facility now that there appears to be a few through services from walsall to Liverpool lime st. ie 07.01am 07.30am and 14.31pm options which cover all local stops to New st and then the usual calls forward to liverpool

The 0730 has been a through Liverpool service for a while, not just the current timetable, the 0736 off New Street to Liverpool used to start at Birmingham International and the 0801 was a Walsall starter. Used to catch the 0736 to work every day until XC put a Stafford stop into the 0731 Manchester.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk