News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Route Changes that never happened

Started by Steve3229vp, August 24, 2014, 01:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve3229vp

A while back I was in the Central Library looking through old editions of the Birmingham Evening Mail and I came across a WMPTE route change proposal in around 1982, it was as follows:

SERVICE 16 Hamstead (Green Lane) via City to The Radleys (Garretts Green) replacing 68 (City-Radleys)
SERVICE 17 Hamstead Village via City to Lea Hall Station via Garretts Green
SERVICES 161 and 171 re-routed via Queens Road, Wittington Oval and Lea Hall Station
NEW SERVICE 197 City to Bluebell Drive via Meadway.

The above changes didn't happen and instead the route changes that DID happen were as follows:

SERVICE 16 Hamstead (Green Lane) via City to Lea Hall Station via Queens Road.
SERVICE 17 Scott Arms/Hamstead Village via City to The Radleys (Garretts Green) replacing 68 (City-Radleys)
NEW SERVICE 17A City-Lea Hall Station via Garretts Green (PEAKS ONLY)
NEW SERVICE 97A City to Bluebell Drive via Meadway
SERVICES 161 and 171 unchanged.

Are there any more like this ?

Steve3229vp

In 1981, a PTE leaflet appeared detailing what would eventually become the Nov 1983 Dudley & Sandwell revisions, with a number of notable differences. The main one was that the 9 was to replace the 140 to Dudley! The 130 was to swap it's Quinton-Halesowen route with the 136/137's ,as per what happened with the 9. The 127 was to be renumbered the 6 and rerouted in the City via the City loop. I think economy was very much the order of these plans, with the 9 being reduced from 8 to 10 mins, running 20 mins through to Dudley, with the 6 covering the two buses ph as far as the Wolves Road. As soon as these plans were published, power on the west Midlands County council changed from Tory to Labour and I've a feeling that Labour told the PTE to rethink it's proposals on a more positive note. So, the 9 was extended to Stourbridge every 8 mins instead. The 127 stayed but the 127E per hour to Brandhall was extended to Blackheath and increased to make a 20 min service with the through Cradley Heath journey.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk