News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX Coach Interiors

Started by Sandy Lane, July 07, 2024, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

Assuming high passenger usage with wear and tear occurring does NX give their coach fleet a mid-life refresh (seats, carpets, etc) or do the original fittings remain until the vehicle is eventually sold off?

winston

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 07, 2024, 09:24:00 AMAssuming high passenger usage with wear and tear occurring does NX give their coach fleet a mid-life refresh (seats, carpets, etc) or do the original fittings remain until the vehicle is eventually sold off?
NX coaches are typically replaced before reaching midlife. NX rules were originally that no coaches over 7 years were to be used on the network. Post covid some operators were allowed to use 63, 65 plate coaches on the network whilst ramping the network back up & still are whilst awaiting delivering of new coaches. 
I believe eventually the age limit on NX coaches is planned to drop as low as max 5 years. 

Marge559

Meanwhile in the West Midlands we have 22 year old vehicles like 4393 being used on late boards even on a Sunday.
I don't have any red buses!

winston

Quote from: Marge559 on July 07, 2024, 10:58:57 AMMeanwhile in the West Midlands we have 22 year old vehicles like 4393 being used on late boards even on a Sunday.
What does that have to do with NX coaches

Tony

Quote from: Marge559 on July 07, 2024, 10:58:57 AMMeanwhile in the West Midlands we have 22 year old vehicles like 4393 being used on late boards even on a Sunday.
A coach can do 200,000km per year, so even on a five year life it could be hitting the 1 million mark

Sandy Lane

Quote from: winston on July 07, 2024, 10:34:49 AMNX coaches are typically replaced before reaching midlife. NX rules were originally that no coaches over 7 years were to be used on the network. Post covid some operators were allowed to use 63, 65 plate coaches on the network whilst ramping the network back up & still are whilst awaiting delivering of new coaches.
I believe eventually the age limit on NX coaches is planned to drop as low as max 5 years.
Thanks for the reply. I guess that a refresh would be quite costly and not worth the investment. So it is better to put that money towards a new vehicle ?

winston

Quote from: Sandy Lane on July 07, 2024, 12:26:47 PMThanks for the reply. I guess that a refresh would be quite costly and not worth the investment. So it is better to put that money towards a new vehicle ?
Coaches do high mileage compared to buses, but typically the passengers stay on them for far longer, so they shouldn't get quite the same level of wear. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk