News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Arriva Train Wales, Class 158

Started by KayP, April 10, 2012, 11:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KayP

Has anyone been on arriva's 158's, I was on one the other day, they look great, they have been given a complete refurb inside, new carpet, seats and electronic displays. I almost forgot I was on a class 158, I thought it was going to be dated inside like I think the class 150s that london midland have are.

davey

Quote from: KayP on April 10, 2012, 11:53:52 PM
Has anyone been on arriva's 158's, I was on one the other day, they look great, they have been given a complete refurb inside, new carpet, seats and electronic displays. I almost forgot I was on a class 158, I thought it was going to be dated inside like I think the class 150s that london midland have are.

Travel on Class 158s quite a bit on the Cambrian Line. Arriva still have a fair few which haven't yet been refurbed, but the refurbed ones, which I was lucky enough to catch from Wolves to Telford the other week, are like you say, not what you would expect a Class 158 to be like considering thier age and thier usage.

The only thing that appeared a bit shoddy was a poor job on fitting new power outlets, some which a small fingered person could get thier hands down the back of. But outside of that, the scrolling LED display, fresh interior, cleanliness all were faultless as well as the modern, smart looking livery.

Last time I travelled from Wolverhampton to Dyffryn Ardudwy changing at Machynlleth I was on an 'un-furbished' one, but still it was quiet and comfortable for the split 3 hour journey. However I was gutted when I got off to find that at Machynlleth they attached a refurbed set to drag up to the end of the line because of maintainance around the Harlech area which would shut the line for a week. Only found out when the train departed, presuming the set had passed, I nearly walked into the second set (being in darkness) as I went to cross the line ;)

I do like Arriva TW, nice trains, friendly staff (who have never seen a Two Together Railcard before ???) and good value for money. 
Long live 4001!
PE Radio Operations - "1540, go ahead"
1540 driver - "The engines died, AGAIN!"

KayP

I don't really travel with ATW that much, but fair play, I might have to begin. I mainly travel with London Midland, and I wish their refurbs were as good as the class 158s, especially as they run the CrossCity Line, which is pretty frequent

Quote from: davey on April 11, 2012, 10:44:01 AM
Quote from: KayP on April 10, 2012, 11:53:52 PM

Travel on Class 158s quite a bit on the Cambrian Line. Arriva still have a fair few which haven't yet been refurbed, but the refurbed ones, which I was lucky enough to catch from Wolves to Telford the other week, are like you say, not what you would expect a Class 158 to be like considering thier age and thier usage.

The only thing that appeared a bit shoddy was a poor job on fitting new power outlets, some which a small fingered person could get thier hands down the back of. But outside of that, the scrolling LED display, fresh interior, cleanliness all were faultless as well as the modern, smart looking livery.

Last time I travelled from Wolverhampton to Dyffryn Ardudwy changing at Machynlleth I was on an 'un-furbished' one, but still it was quiet and comfortable for the split 3 hour journey. However I was gutted when I got off to find that at Machynlleth they attached a refurbed set to drag up to the end of the line because of maintainance around the Harlech area which would shut the line for a week. Only found out when the train departed, presuming the set had passed, I nearly walked into the second set (being in darkness) as I went to cross the line ;)

I do like Arriva TW, nice trains, friendly staff (who have never seen a Two Together Railcard before ???) and good value for money.

In case you haven't seen the arriva train wales refurbishments, or been on them, I got a few pics of the interior, I must say, they look great. There are also some pictures of some pendilinos, voyagers, desiros and much more:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/madabouttransport/7217560194/in/photostream

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk