News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

To 'E', or not to 'E'

Started by Stu, November 14, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: JoNi on November 15, 2013, 08:30:11 PM
We had E suffixes inflicted on us in Coventry when the Network review occurred in 2012. No joined up thinking resulted in "E" journies not being shown in timetables, bus stop publicity or Real Time information. Defeat was effectively admitted when the 12 to Leamington Spa was renumbered 11 rather than Uni shorts being numbered 12E to enable easer identification of through buses.

The answer is bigger destination displays and on board visual displays that change as you proceed along the route. Both already exist elsewhere in the UK.

Remember. Birmingham is still dreadfully behind the times still in comparison with the rest of the UK. Even the new stuff don't work!

But, speak with anyone. They'd prefer buses + drivers then LED's + AVL
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: Sh4166 on November 15, 2013, 08:06:15 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 15, 2013, 06:39:16 PM
I would prefer there be no route number at all and just a destination with alternating via points.

Surely then people would be forced to confirm destination with the driver.

That would be so much easier, if it was possible. Works well with trains

So you are stood on Moor Street wanting to go to Solihull College and a bus is heading your way with no service number and showing 'Solihull via Sparkbrook' you don't know whether it is going down the 37 route, or the 6 route, so you wait for it to change and it shows Solihull via Sparkhill ah that's OK put hand out and get on - Damn it is a 31, or you wait for it to change again and guess what it goes past you before it does change! -

That is a silly idea

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on November 15, 2013, 08:55:24 PM
I would prefer there be no route number at all and just a destination with alternating via points.

So you are stood on Moor Street wanting to go to Solihull College and a bus is heading your way with no service number and showing 'Solihull via Sparkbrook' you don't know whether it is going down the 37 route, or the 6 route, so you wait for it to change and it shows Solihull via Sparkhill ah that's OK put hand out and get on - Damn it is a 31, or you wait for it to change again and guess what it goes past you before it does change! -

That is a silly idea

Well obviously it wouldn't work in areas like Birmingham City Centre stops where loads of them stop in the same space, but on the Bristol Road? It could work.

Either that or emphasized the point of SHORT JOURNEY changing with 61E NORTHFIELD ONLY (but then what's the point of saying 61 as they're the same route up to that point)
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 15, 2013, 09:18:26 PM
Quote from: Tony on November 15, 2013, 08:55:24 PM

That is a silly idea

Well obviously it wouldn't work in areas like Birmingham City Centre stops where loads of them stop in the same space, but on the Bristol Road? It could work.

Either that or emphasized the point of SHORT JOURNEY changing with 61E NORTHFIELD ONLY (but then what's the point of saying 61 as they're the same route up to that point)

Even outside the City Centre you need a route identifier of some sort

Saltley Gate has two different buses to Solihull (both which could be showing via Chelmsley Wood when you look at them) and five to Chelmsley Wood!

Liverpool Street

Well clearly I didn't think this through! Haha
until it cought fire

karl724223

Ben

Quote from: JoNi on November 15, 2013, 08:30:11 PM
We had E suffixes inflicted on us in Coventry when the Network review occurred in 2012. No joined up thinking resulted in "E" journies not being shown in timetables, bus stop publicity or Real Time information. Defeat was effectively admitted when the 12 to Leamington Spa was renumbered 11 rather than Uni shorts being numbered 12E to enable easer identification of through buses.

The answer is bigger destination displays and on board visual displays that change as you proceed along the route. Both already exist elsewhere in the UK.
Two things RE Cov 11 & 12:
After the review 12E was a designation for short workings between  the University and Earlsdon if I recall. I certainly remember having to alight at Earlsdon Library.  Hence they couldn't use the same designation for City Centre- University services. Although this no longer happens.
   Also, as the university is large and worthy of being a designation in its own right it does deserve its own number.  I think it also makes it clearer for the passenger, if there are delays: Imagine waiting at the University for a bus to Coventry. If it doesn't turn up its a certainty as to which service is late rather than just seeing "x" and wondering where its coming from. EDIT: If I've not explained this point in particular clearly enough please let me know.
This creates more issues than it solves. Having people NEED to check with the driver A) Slows down the service and B)Creates issues such as language barriers.
The numbers are an necessity. If multiple services take the same route there needs to be a way to differentiate.

I saw a post which critisised that since buses have electronic displays they should show "Short working" I am against this as it is too much information for a screen to read on an approaching bus. I am also against the different appendixes for each terminating point as this would create more confusion. Which is probably partly why this isn't done anymore.

I am in favour of keeping E workings, but having it as a standardised designation across operators to keep things tidy. Then Centro could easily put on the electonic signs and timetables "Please note services appended E are a shortened working to the destination shown" < Or something to that effect.

Interesting side point: I'm surprised nobody has referred to OMSI bus simulator. The route numbers featured are 92 and 92E. When I originally saw it written I knew it meant short working. -Whether that was my logical brain or having lived in the West Midlands I'm not sure aha.

QuoteA wonderful idea.
Can we then paint the fleet in a dignified livery,improve vehicle presentation and stop this absurd branding and naming gimmick.
We may then recapture the pride that BCT showed in everything.

Vehicle presentation seems brilliant at the moment! (With exception to the unrepainted vehicles)
Branding makes identifying the bus much simpler especially in a large city centre like Birmingham which is A)Crowded B)Busy C)Diverse.
But also adds to conversation on these very forums!
While it may be a gimmick I like the bus naming, it gives everything a personal touch and induces a bit of fun as to guessing which bus will turn up!

EDIT: I didn't realise I'd be writing so much, I hope its useful!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: karl724223 on November 15, 2013, 09:29:37 PM
Don't argue with the boss

Karl, instead of putting smartarse comments, how about you add to the community by giving your opinion on the E suffix?
until it cought fire

vinh1000

Sometimes I see a E working and get on say in a rush without looking at LED it terminates early and - yes my fault

Personally the new displays look good ie X96 to Dudley or just the number by itself with the destination ie 101 Oxhill Road all on one line
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Steveminor

The most confusing E suffix is on the 71 with both Claribels & Sunny Travel using it to indicate they run a different route to NX 71 ie via Marston Green. A lot of people then get confused & quite annoyed when they board a NX 71E & find it doesn't go to Marston Green.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk