News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Opinions on Class 323s

Started by KayP, March 30, 2012, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: 4504 on May 28, 2012, 12:30:51 PM
They're great for stopping services - mine of which never seems to be on time  >:( (Birmingham to Wolverhampton)

I don't think they would be good for long services, for 1, their highest speed is 90 mph, secondly, they're like 20 years old and for a service like Manchester to birmingham there will be demand for first class, and the 323s don't provide that. LM are getting some new desiros soon, but I think they're being used to increase capacity from Birmingham to London

Quote from: Badger on May 28, 2012, 10:52:54 AM
The stopper normally seems to be the one sacrificed when any other services are late.

Personally I love 323s most of the time. I would not like to use one for a long service (there are rumours they will be used on a Manchester to Birmingham service when the WCML review comes around), but for what they're currently used for, short journeys within the west midlands, they're perfect. Relatively comfortable, nice seating layout for families, light interior and in my opinion a great unique sound.

They were originally rated at 75mph, so have been upgraded at some point.

They have previously been used on Manchester - Birmingham services (the North Western sets as mentioned before), also B'ham Liverpool services which i've had the 'pleasure' of travelling on many a time - although generally routed on the slow lines twixt Stafford & Crewe due to the 75mph limit. They weren't too bad on these runs, although taking a few beers with you tends to help!

I thought the Birmingham to Lime St services were operated previously by class 170s. Couldn't imagine riding in a class 323 to Manchester, I would have a constant fear of my luggage flying out of the luggage racks. Would be nice if London Midland introduced a service to Manchester Piccadilly to rival CrossCountry

windy miller

There was a  Birmingham (Central Trains) service From B'ham Intl to Manchester Airport But It was discontinued when their franchise was revoked.Pity- Yes-I would prefer to go to Manchester on one of LM's 'Great escape' specials- ie anywhere on their 'system' for £10.Manchester has much more entertainment-A pub with Ladies underwear spread all over the ceiling and a collection of ceramic toiletries!! :) ( Just one example.)--  I only go to liverpool to visit my Hub caps.... ;) :) :)   
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Discodave

I like the formula 1 sound when moving off 323's would be good if the walsall-rugeley section was electrified it has improved with 3 car 170's but looking at the seating they seem to hold more correct me if I am wrong.  Or any help please Tony

JIM H

CLASS 323'S HAVE 284 SEATS, WHEREAS 3- CAR CLASS 170'S HAVE JUST UNDER 200.

CLASS 323'S A CLEAR WINNER ON SEATING CAPACITY.

THERE IS PROPOSAL TO ELECTRIFY THE LINE FROM WALSALL TO ALDRIDGE.
THIS WOULD REQUIRE A NEW STAION AT ALDRIDGE, THE OLD ONE WAS CLOSED IN THE 1960'S.
THIS PLAN HAS YET TO RECEIVE GOVERNMENT APPROVAL AND FUNDING. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk