News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

PO51 UMX

Started by vinh1000, December 27, 2013, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 04:16:25 PM
Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2014, 04:02:34 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 03:38:04 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 15, 2014, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on January 22, 2014, 11:20:05 AM
To answer my own question, it is at Long Acre along with PO51UMY which has clearly been deroofed, with the top of the roof dumped on top! For anyone interested, the two ex first presidents listed as being with Preston are also both at Long Acre

Looks as though it went for scrap yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/13147667113/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/13147563145/

Thanks for posting those links Winston. Looks like some of the useful parts have been removed from it to no doubt use at Preston. Wonder if PO51UMX will also go for scrap after being stripped for spares. LAC must be emptier now if the first presidents have gone for scrap, this and presumably the other east lancs one will also go for scrap and the yourbus ones are at Preston.

PO 51 UMY is in the building at Long Acre, still white, but is listed on the fleetlist as under repair and Diamond livery

Thanks for that update Tony.
That seems so unlikely that UMY would be under repair for Redditch when it is reported as going for scrap. UMX I can believe but even that's really odd.
I personally doubt UMY will re-enter service, UMX possibly but even then I would have thought it would require a fair bit of work as it has been off the road a fair while now and for a start it will need a new front upper deck window as that has been paneled over.

Odd that they would be looking to send an east lancs trident requiring such work to Redditch as do they even need more deckers? And surely it would be easier to send them a President?

Just to add further spice to the mix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93585477@N08/12842114755/in/photolist-kyPciD-kyPGda-dYkhg5-dYkgYw-9qsUr3-bzNs2c-bzNsm4 the link I posted a while back, claims PO51UMX is expected there.

Simon said Rotala had no requirements for any further double deckers when I asked about the 6 ex Transdev Gemini's at Ensign.

Surely it must be an error on Rotala's fleetlist, It would cost a fortune to rebuild UMY, It would be more cost effective to go shopping at Ensign and buy a complete Trident from there.

PM

Quote from: Winston on March 15, 2014, 04:29:36 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 04:16:25 PM
Quote from: Tony on March 15, 2014, 04:02:34 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 03:38:04 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 15, 2014, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on January 22, 2014, 11:20:05 AM
To answer my own question, it is at Long Acre along with PO51UMY which has clearly been deroofed, with the top of the roof dumped on top! For anyone interested, the two ex first presidents listed as being with Preston are also both at Long Acre

Looks as though it went for scrap yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/13147667113/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/13147563145/

Thanks for posting those links Winston. Looks like some of the useful parts have been removed from it to no doubt use at Preston. Wonder if PO51UMX will also go for scrap after being stripped for spares. LAC must be emptier now if the first presidents have gone for scrap, this and presumably the other east lancs one will also go for scrap and the yourbus ones are at Preston.

PO 51 UMY is in the building at Long Acre, still white, but is listed on the fleetlist as under repair and Diamond livery

Thanks for that update Tony.
That seems so unlikely that UMY would be under repair for Redditch when it is reported as going for scrap. UMX I can believe but even that's really odd.
I personally doubt UMY will re-enter service, UMX possibly but even then I would have thought it would require a fair bit of work as it has been off the road a fair while now and for a start it will need a new front upper deck window as that has been paneled over.

Odd that they would be looking to send an east lancs trident requiring such work to Redditch as do they even need more deckers? And surely it would be easier to send them a President?

Just to add further spice to the mix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93585477@N08/12842114755/in/photolist-kyPciD-kyPGda-dYkhg5-dYkgYw-9qsUr3-bzNs2c-bzNsm4 the link I posted a while back, claims PO51UMX is expected there.

Simon said Rotala had no requirements for any further double deckers when I asked about the 6 ex Transdev Gemini's at Ensign.

Surely it must be an error on Rotala's fleetlist, It would cost a fortune to rebuild UMY, It would be more cost effective to go shopping at Ensign and buy a complete Trident from there.

I guess they won't have after the tridents have been shifted around and entered service. I agree though-especially when ex Brighton and Hove east lancs tridents are available in fairly good condition, or even Brighton and Hove Presidents. As far as I am aware, prices for low floor double deckers are not what they were a few years back with them flooding the secondhand market.

Tony

Just to clarify, as the heading of this topic confused me
PO51 UMY did go for scrap yesterday, I saw it being prepared when I went past on the train yesterday
PO51 UMX is in the building at Long Acre and is listed in the company fleetlist as under repair - Blue Diamond livery

tank90

I would think PO51UMX is Redditch bound to act as a spare to the Ex Lothain Presidents as they have a wee habit of over heating, thus making them late for duties after visiting Church Road for a cold water hose down on the rad (I've seen one with its grill off with a hose being sprayed on it). Thus may comment to Simon about the Volvo 56 plate DDs at Ensign which was why I was suprised when he said no. Those V reg Presidents have been worked hard in Scotland Preston and now Redditch and are giving up the ghost so yes they need replacing sooner rather than later before one self combusts in service or on Private back to Redditch.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Tony

Quote from: tank90 on March 15, 2014, 05:25:51 PM
I would think PO51UMX is Redditch bound to act as a spare to the Ex Lothain Presidents as they have a wee habit of over heating, thus making them late for duties after visiting Church Road for a cold water hose down on the rad (I've seen one with its grill off with a hose being sprayed on it). Thus may comment to Simon about the Volvo 56 plate DDs at Ensign which was why I was suprised when he said no. Those V reg Presidents have been worked hard in Scotland Preston and now Redditch and are giving up the ghost so yes they need replacing sooner rather than later before one self combusts in service or on Private back to Redditch.

A vehicle 'overheating' is extremely rare to self combust. It can cause many expensive problems like a seized engine but will not cause a fire. Engine fires are nearly always caused by fuel or oil getting somewhere it shouldn't or problems with a piece of electrical kit for example a jammed starter motor.

PM

To be fair though, good allocation should mean they don't overheat. They only have to get round the Matchborough Circular and then you often see vehicles parked up in the bus station. It's not exactly far back to the depot either. Personally, they are some of my favourite vehicles at Diamond Redditch-the interiors you could pass off as pretty new especially.

tank90

Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 05:44:24 PM

To be fair though, good allocation should mean they don't overheat. They only have to get round the Matchborough Circular and then you often see vehicles parked up in the bus station. It's not exactly far back to the depot either. Personally, they are some of my favourite vehicles at Diamond Redditch-the interiors you could pass off as pretty new especially.
They don't just do the 57 and 58 they are used on the 26 247 146 143 182 204 and a few others. They get worked hard, the Bromsgrove Highway isn't flat and will take alot out of a bus (there is an empty from Bromsgrove to Redditch before it takes the 15:15 To Alecester then at 15:45 it goes on to Pershore Horticultural College).

Tony yes I was being a bit too dramatic about self combustion due to over heating but they are becoming unreliable buses. Drivers don't like taking them out of Redditch if they can help it. But as they are needed on the 26 247 182 204 and B1 then they do have to take them to Pershore, Birmingham, Stratford and Evesham and the odd 143 to Bromsgrove.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

PM

Quote from: tank90 on March 15, 2014, 11:28:37 PM

They don't just do the 57 and 58 they are used on the 26 247 146 143 182 204 and a few others. They get worked hard, the Bromsgrove Highway isn't flat and will take alot out of a bus (there is an empty from Bromsgrove to Redditch before it takes the 15:15 To Alecester then at 15:45 it goes on to Pershore Horticultural College).

Tony yes I was being a bit too dramatic about self combustion due to over heating but they are becoming unreliable buses. Drivers don't like taking them out of Redditch if they can help it. But as they are needed on the 26 247 182 204 and B1 then they do have to take them to Pershore, Birmingham, Stratford and Evesham and the odd 143 to Bromsgrove.

Where does the 204 go out of interest, I thought that was dropped a while back. I agree, but are they really needed on the many of these routes when surely newer enviro's could be used. Particularly the 146-I know it needs improving and has some potential, by speeding it up and re-routing it but at the moment darts would do. Personally, I think the deckers, if there is an issue with them, should be kept on Matchborough's and newer buses allocated to longer runs.

tank90

Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 11:32:55 PM

Where does the 204 go out of interest, I thought that was dropped a while back. I agree, but are they really needed on the many of these routes when surely newer enviro's could be used. Particularly the 146-I know it needs improving and has some potential, by speeding it up and re-routing it but at the moment darts would do. Personally, I think the deckers, if there is an issue with them, should be kept on Matchborough's and newer buses allocated to longer runs.
the 204 is a school contract as for the rest like the 146/143 yes they are a rarer sight as for the other routes no they are used when an E300 or a B7RLE would be like using a 25 seater Solo on the peak 002.
Diamond do need more DDs mainly for the School buses it does. Before March 2013 when FMR ran the most of the School buses in Redditch they used a dd this meant fewer cars in Crabbs Cross and Woodrow since that date they have gone up. This is due to Diamond using buses not fit for the numbers of students that would need to catch the bus.

Dan

PM

Quote from: tank90 on March 15, 2014, 11:52:42 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on March 15, 2014, 11:32:55 PM

the 204 is a school contract as for the rest like the 146/143 yes they are a rarer sight as for the other routes no they are used when an E300 or a B7RLE would be like using a 25 seater Solo on the peak 002.
Diamond do need more DDs mainly for the School buses it does. Before March 2013 when FMR ran the most of the School buses in Redditch they used a dd this meant fewer cars in Crabbs Cross and Woodrow since that date they have gone up. This is due to Diamond using buses not fit for the numbers of students that would need to catch the bus.

Do you not think there are a great number of reasons why deckers on school contracts are an appalling idea? Namely bad behaviour which largely goes unsupervised, vandalism whereas to a certain extent, the driver can better see what is going on on an enviro300 which incidentally can hold upwards of 70 people which is not much less than a decker. Are you honestly telling me that the number of cars in an area would go up if the school buses are more overcrowded. The people that could drive or walk would do that anyway. To a certain extent, school buses are pretty easy to run as you can shoehorn people on knowing they have no other real transport option.

tank90

That is not the point its unsafe to do that with children from year 9 to 13. year 13s can crush a year 9 to death. if you dont have anthing to hold on to you can fall easy I ve seen it happen luckierly no one was seriously hurt.

Dan

StourportSam

Quote from: tank90 on March 16, 2014, 12:34:39 AM
That is not the point its unsafe to do that with children from year 9 to 13. year 13s can crush a year 9 to death. if you dont have anthing to hold on to you can fall easy I ve seen it happen luckierly no one was seriously hurt.

I agree, it makes sense to provide a bus that has capacity for the normal number of seated passengers as opposed to cramming everyone on board like sardines. Believe it or not most people don't like to or expect to stand on a bus! Particularly agree Tank90 about schoolchildren and safety.

Drivers can see upstairs on most Double Deckers, even if they can see more on a single deck one would expect them to be watching the road...

fleetline6477

In my experience you get far less trouble from a bus full of kids on dedicated school buses or travelling in school uniforms than you do from a small number travelling at the weekend, holidays or evenings. With CCTV they are easily identifiable and bus companies providing dedicated school buses have a good working relationship with schools.

PM

For anyone interested in the two east lancs tridents, 40409 is now painted at Preston.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjrprestonbus/13945386948/in/set-72157634495010883/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk