News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

A job in the bus industry

Started by MW, May 15, 2012, 11:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4775

Quote from: danny on May 18, 2012, 12:18:41 AM
I think they'd train you dude Hehe ag have some pritty intresting fleet and route monopoly.

hehe, The top 3 garages I would work at without arguement would be AG,BC OR PB
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Nathan4775

ohh and YW becuase they service 6/50
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Discodave

Quote from: NEL111P on May 16, 2012, 12:22:41 AM
Well, you could make a start by treating those that work in the industry with a bit more respect (by this, I mean don't rubbish a company without having substantiated/accurate information, & think twice before 'smiting' someone who points out your innacuracies  ;))!

Seriously, I believe the ones looking down on drivers the most are the management of said companies. I've been offered training on more than one occasion & there's absolutely no way you'd get me behind the wheel in return for current wage rates - it's just not worth the hassle.

Having said that, there's a wide range of job opportunities in the industry aside from driving, so you really need to take a step back & think what do you want to do & what do you want from your work life. I too hated school with a purpose, unfortunately those little bits of paper you get at the end do count an awful lot. There's a frightening amount of people applying for advertised vacancies & having something on your cv that shows you have a brain & are capable of steering it in the right direction is one way of avoiding your application ending up in the waste bin at the first sifting stage.

For your last sentence. It's going to be all down to what's more important to you in your adult life. Spare money is nice, but my job gives me responsibility & satisfaction, & my employers value my views & input & allow me to work flexible hours. That to me is worth far far more than a fat cheque.

Agree being an ex bus driver (by choice) they pay is not worth it and its the management which makes driving crap, and being looked down on by public you can never do anything right.  Until pay improves and shifts are better and mananagement listen (whch will never happen) keep away from the industry and just have it as a hobby.

richie

I have to be honest i work in the industry and have had a number of roles within it, and i have enjoyed them all. However i know no other industry. I am now a model employee but havn't allways been so, in my experiance a manager looks down on you and your performance if your not doing what you should regardless of being a driver or not! Often drivers feel they are more hard done by as there is physically more of them! Chinese whispers and stories don't help the situation, but also its sad that there is no praise if your doing right if your a driver as there just isn't enough one to one time with a manager.

richie

Quote from: NathanJC on May 16, 2012, 08:56:34 PM
Quote from: Michael on May 16, 2012, 04:27:20 PM
Quote from: NathanJC on May 16, 2012, 03:31:12 PM
im aiming to be a bus driver ASAP & work for PB/BC bus garage  8),

Just need to know when I can start training to do this

I'm quite sure you need to be 17 to train up and 18 to start driving. I'm sure one of the current drivers on the site will let you know though.

NX only now recruits drivers over 21

So I can take Driving lesson when im 17, start bus traing at 18 and become a driver betime i am 20/21  ;D, but at that age you can only driver routes in a 50KM of the garage  ;D told by a 76 (Central Buses) driver

nx4737

Quote from: 4504 on May 17, 2012, 12:47:12 AM
I wouldn't mind a job as a train conductor to be honest  :)
Commuter or freight, I still think it would be fun, and rewarding.

A freight conductor?

matt904102

I'm quite sure you need to be 17 to train up and 18 to start driving. I'm sure one of the current drivers on the site will let you know though.
I have always been a bus enthusiast too and was keen to have a job in the industry. On leaving school I took a Youth Training Scheme placement with a local coach operator as a trainee mechanic. I was pretty useless at this but the knowledge of mechanical principle is very useful. Immediately on turning 18 years old I set about getting my PSV. Quite correctly stated here it is restricted between 18 and 21 to local registered work. Cramps your style with coach driving but you can work for Travel no problem. Give it a go.

andy

Quote from: matt904102 on June 21, 2012, 10:58:57 AM

I have always been a bus enthusiast too and was keen to have a job in the industry. On leaving school I took a Youth Training Scheme placement with a local coach operator as a trainee mechanic. I was pretty useless at this but the knowledge of mechanical principle is very useful. Immediately on turning 18 years old I set about getting my PSV. Quite correctly stated here it is restricted between 18 and 21 to local registered work. Cramps your style with coach driving but you can work for Travel no problem. Give it a go.

I would back Matt up on that...I left 6th form with poor A Levels and didn't want to do Uni, so I went to work in a clerical job with MR, as soon as I was 18 they put me through the PCV. I've gone in and out of the bus industry ever since and had all sorts of unrelated jobs, but always end up going back at some point or other. The job makes you grow up incredibly quickly and its better than most other jobs that are available to you at that age unless you have a concrete career path that you want to go and follow. I had some really fun and enjoyable years after passing at 18 in that job and I am always happy to go back to it when I need to.

andy

I know there are a number of young people on here thinking about their careers, and the bus industry is a very difficult one to get into at that age, even if you are happy to start off with driving. What's more a PCV training programme is now, in my opinion, much more difficult to get through than it once was.

I have just seen this opportunity with Stagecoach in the South West for a Commercial Apprentice. This is the sort of opportunity I was desperate for at that age but Commercial departments in bus companies were generally closed shops, that's if they even had a proper one! I did eventually make it in but only after several years at depot level. If anyone has the ability to move away or has family in the area, I would strongly recommend having a go at this.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/jobdetails.aspx?id=463

What's more is I currently work for an Apprenticeship company on Apprentice selection and recruitment so would be happy to advise if anybody wants help with the application.

vinh1000

I hope to get a job too with NXWM specifically at PB depot or BC because PB is closest to me and I like the drivers there - many are/seem friendly considering if one of them is running on a PB service we have a chat
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

DC3

Quote from: NathanJC on May 17, 2012, 03:31:27 PM
I'd rather driver Plaxtons  8)

Probably the worst vehicles to be at AG. Exception of 4023/4112 they're the only ones with a bit of poke. Terrible seating, tiny cabs, heaters that dont work, lack of power, and creaking bodies.

Quote from: NathanJC on May 16, 2012, 09:15:10 PM
Sadly I dont know any routes at AG I breifly know the 37

You don't have to know any of the routes to go to a garage, they will train you first! Having a fair knowledge of the areas that they operate in is the best knowledge to have!

Personally I would tell people to stay away from the job, It's not what it all seems to be. You are the target of public venting on a daily basis, If they're having a bad day, trust me, you will know about it, because it will be your fault!
Ideally you need to be thick skinned, be able to switch off and just go with the flow. It's not always possible.
Best thing to do is just go for it, at least you get a vocational licence out of it.

Any questions you have, fire away..  ;)

Discodave

you know now you will get a lot of black marks from the rose tinted specticle brigade by the way it was a plus from me I fully agree and would rather say treated like s**t from all angles public and company (whichever one) so more black marks for me too

danny

said it a thousand times lol but holiday rep for johnsons is my aim in life, challenge, meeting new people everyday and being able to interact on a one to one level hehe
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk