News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Pets on buses

Started by wembley86, May 31, 2015, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wembley86

What is the rule for bringing on dogs on buses as midland metro on allows guide dogs or is it up to driver as some passengers allow dog to sit on seats.

Stu

See page 7 of the NX Conditions of carriage:

Should be similar rules with other operators too. Dogs are permitted at driver's discretion, and should not be on seats.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bryan

Quote from: countryliner on November 28, 2015, 03:51:00 AM
In my opinion i dont think that dogs (except for guide dogs / assistance dogs / etc) should ever be allowed on buses (or trains or trams). I am quite shocked by how many bus operators allow their passengers to bring dogs on buses. Some dogs can be very dirty and therefore make the bus dirty and a health hazard for other passengers. When dogs are allowed on buses they always seem to make the bus very smelly and they leave hairs and dirt all over the seats and floors. Dogs can also be very dangerous - they are very unpredictable - and could start to attack passengers at any time which could cause injury or even worst death. I think that more bus operators need to ban dogs from their services.

The same could be said of some passengers!

As dogs are only carried at a drivers discretion, I expect that keeps the undesirable/dangerous dogs off the buses. As for dog hairs on seats, these will still occur even if dogs were not carried as often dog owners clothes will probably be covered with them. As long as the dog does not sit on a seat, I'm not sure quite what the problem is. The regulations as they are have worked well for many years.

Just one further thought, I remember reading elsewhere in this forum about small operators who go out of their way to accommodate passengers. Could this change to slamming the doors in the face of a little old lady who has her little dog/friend with her?

Michael Bevan

Quote from: wembley86 on May 31, 2015, 01:41:28 PM
What is the rule for bringing on dogs on buses as midland metro on allows guide dogs or is it up to driver as some passengers allow dog to sit on seats.

Whilst I was on my Work Experience at Central Buses, I had to assess a few drivers on the 61 and the 35B as a 'Mystery Passenger'. Whilst assessing the driver of YJ59 PKC a man brought a dog onboard. The driver was happy with the man bringing it onboard and even stroked it (since Central do not have plexi-glass on the cab door). I was talking to the owner and apparently the dog was a regular on the 61. I don't think many drivers have a problem with dogs. I've seen many on buses. This was just enjoyed the cool breeze at the back of the Solo.  ;)

Quote from: countryliner on November 28, 2015, 02:47:20 PMIt is much better to just have a rule where dogs are not allowed on any buses / trains / trams at all. If people really think that they have to take their dog with them when they leave their house then they should just walk or use a car.
What about if its a guide dog
Or the owner doesn't have a car.
Not all dogs are dangerous if it is a dangerous one it shouldn't be  allowed on in the first place
As long as the dog ins't on a seat I don't think there is a problem
Quote from: Stu on May 31, 2015, 01:45:58 PM
See page 7 of the NX Conditions of carriage:

Should be similar rules with other operators too. Dogs are permitted at driver's discretion, and should not be on seats.
@countryliner
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

The idea of banning dogs because they could seriously injure or kill someone is bizarre. You are a thousand times more likely to be injured or killed by some of the low life who travel by bus (and typically sit at the back upstairs) than you are by a dog.

GeminiFan1991

You have to define a dangerous dog as well I find. I don't think its a specific breed more so a dog acting in a manner that its owner can't handle it.

Just this week I was on my 11C home in the evening from work and I boarded the Gemini top decker and I saw what can only be described (From a glance) as a fairly large pitbull on the floor. It's owner had 1 arm wrapped around him and it did nothing throughout the journey. On another journey sometime back an old lady once bought a small terrier on the bus and it was 1 of the nosiest journeys I've had. it almost put the infamous cooling fans of Geminis too shame !

I find that most people people who bring a dog on even if they look "shady" are actually good people on the bus and the dog stays fairly quite and its an uneventful journey
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

JoNi

Liverpool Street

If we start banning dogs can we ban scumbags too?

- No smoking
- No Dogs
- No scumbags
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk