News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva clean up again!!!

Started by hartshill busman 724210, August 07, 2012, 06:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartshill busman 724210

We`ll soon see their revised tactics because the Sandwell tenders go out tomorrow to tidy up the Sandwell review, so watch this space .The window for the tenders is very small because they are due to start at the same time as the NXWM changes in october.

winston

Quote from: andy on September 06, 2012, 06:56:48 PM
Guys I find it a bit laughable that everyone is jumping for joy and ranting about how terrible Arriva's tactics are. Do you seriously think that NX don't get up to this sort of behaviour? Any big player in the industry will try it's damnest to expand, it's what their shareholders expect and demand. You can't have one rule for one and others for the rest, what we have is a deregulated free market. I don't agree with the system as it stands but Arriva are perfectly entitled to be aggressive in the marketplace so you'll have to live with it. If you don't like them, don't catch their buses, it's that simple.

Andy,

Is not so much how terrible/aggressive Arriva's tactics are, all the big boys will do what they want when they want in any business and running smaller businesses off the road or forcing them to sell up. Stagecoach had the one of the worst reputations for that a few years back. The funniest thing about the whole process is that Arriva strategy of bidding for a block of tenders has been out matched by Hanson's offering to run the 287 commercially, this resulting in Arriva winning sweat FA, if fact they are actually down one tender loosing the 33 evening & Sunday tender to Diamond. WMSNT have done well out of the process as well thanks to Hanson's move.....
May be Arriva shouldn't be quite so complacent in their strategy next time

andy

Quote from: Winston on September 06, 2012, 07:55:06 PM
Guys I find it a bit laughable that everyone is jumping for joy and ranting about how terrible Arriva's tactics are. Do you seriously think that NX don't get up to this sort of behaviour? Any big player in the industry will try it's damnest to expand, it's what their shareholders expect and demand. You can't have one rule for one and others for the rest, what we have is a deregulated free market. I don't agree with the system as it stands but Arriva are perfectly entitled to be aggressive in the marketplace so you'll have to live with it. If you don't like them, don't catch their buses, it's that simple.

Andy,

Is not so much how terrible/aggressive Arriva's tactics are, all the big boys will do what they want when they want in any business and running smaller businesses off the road or forcing them to sell up. Stagecoach had the one of the worst reputations for that a few years back. The funniest thing about the whole process is that Arriva strategy of bidding for a block of tenders has been out matched by Hanson's offering to run the 287 commercially, this resulting in Arriva winning sweat FA, if fact they are actually down one tender loosing the 33 evening & Sunday tender to Diamond. WMSNT have done well out of the process as well thanks to Hanson's move.....

I'm sure they have a bloody nose and I'm sure they will be busy planning as we speak! But this will all backfire when an operator who does what Hansons have done simply deregisters after commencement plunging Centro into chaos having to prepare expensive emergency tenders. I'm sure they won't be appreciating all this too much and I would imagine this is only the start. They also won't look too favourably on such operators in the future. I'm not suggesting that Hansons in particular are planning to do this but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody at some point adopted the tactic.

Tony

Quote from: andy on September 06, 2012, 08:40:49 PM

Andy,

I'm sure they have a bloody nose and I'm sure they will be busy planning as we speak! But this will all backfire when an operator who does what Hansons have done simply deregisters after commencement plunging Centro into chaos having to prepare expensive emergency tenders. I'm sure they won't be appreciating all this too much and I would imagine this is only the start. They also won't look too favourably on such operators in the future. I'm not suggesting that Hansons in particular are planning to do this but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody at some point adopted the tactic.

But if Hansons's did decide to the 287 wasn't commercial Centro would only have to retender one route. It wouldn't plunge them into chaos. remember all the other services in Arriva's 'group' bid will already be on long term tenders with other operators

andy

Quote from: Tony on September 06, 2012, 08:52:54 PM

Andy,

But if Hansons's did decide to the 287 wasn't commercial Centro would only have to retender one route. It wouldn't plunge them into chaos. remember all the other services in Arriva's 'group' bid will already be on long term tenders with other operators

I realise it's only one example but if it kept happening it would become very tedious for them. Personally I find it a bit strange that Hanson's did this. It's almost like they knew exactly what would happen next if they did, suggesting that somebody knew what tenders had been entered.  Upon the announcement of Arriva winning their group tender, do other operators then get to see the other tender entries? If they don't, then it couldn't have been a tactic by Hansons because they wouldn't know what it would trigger. If they do, then that seems counterproductive as everyone will be at it. Does anyone know?

danny

Well thanks to hansons i wont have too.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

richie

Quote from: andy on September 06, 2012, 09:17:42 PM

Andy,

I realise it's only one example but if it kept happening it would become very tedious for them. Personally I find it a bit strange that Hanson's did this. It's almost like they knew exactly what would happen next if they did, suggesting that somebody knew what tenders had been entered.  Upon the announcement of Arriva winning their group tender, do other operators then get to see the other tender entries? If they don't, then it couldn't have been a tactic by Hansons because they wouldn't know what it would trigger. If they do, then that seems counterproductive as everyone will be at it. Does anyone know?

I think the tactics of hansons are far superior than any arriva could have thought of local business beats a multi national plc with huge assets, cash flow and access to credit far beyond hansons imaginations! Oh and not forgetting the university degree directors and long serving transport sector directors and managers! Bet they ain't got none of that at hansons

winston

Quote from: richie on September 06, 2012, 09:41:31 PM
Quote from: andy on September 06, 2012, 09:17:42 PM

Andy,

I think the tactics of hansons are far superior than any arriva could have thought of local business beats a multi national plc with huge assets, cash flow and access to credit far beyond hansons imaginations! Oh and not forgetting the university degree directors and long serving transport sector directors and managers! Bet they ain't got none of that at hansons

I know Derek Ludlow still helps out driving for Hanson's, anytime I've seen him his on the 226, he may well have suggested that Hanson's register on the 004 a former Ludlow's route along with other suggestions / advice. At the end of the day years of experience of building a small bus company from scratch overrules a university degree any day.....

You've got to admire Hanson's, not only have they protected their own business, they have also thwarted Arriva's incursion further in to the area until the next round of tenders at least. I would expect Arriva to be extremely active in the new Sandwell tenders with having the WB depot on the doorstep

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk