News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Geminis

Started by 18WilliamsLi, December 28, 2022, 07:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

18WilliamsLi

I've noticed 4481 has a 17xx engine instead of a normal gemini engine 

Jack

Quote from: 18WilliamsLi on December 28, 2022, 07:18:52 AMI've noticed 4481 has a 17xx engine instead of a normal gemini engine
It doesn't have a 17** engine, that and the others have whiny gearboxes which 4481 has had for many years now...

18WilliamsLi

Quote from: Jack on December 28, 2022, 07:27:32 AMIt doesn't have a 17** engine, that and the others have whiny gearboxes which 4481 has had for many years now...

Ohh okay 

Stu

Quote from: 18WilliamsLi on December 28, 2022, 07:18:52 AMI've noticed 4481 has a 17xx engine instead of a normal gemini engine
B7TLs and B7RLE all have the same engines, the Volvo 7.3L D7C engine.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

QuoteB7TLs and B7RLE all have the same engines, the Volvo 7.3L D7C engine.
Although the engine is the same the layout of some of the items attached to the engine are different, so you cannot just swap them between vehicles without a lot of modification. Same applies to the B7TL/ALX400 and B7TL/Gemini. They can be swapped but it is a lot of work. I think in all the years NX ran them only one Gemini got a modified ALX400 engine and certainly none were swapped between single and double decks.

Stevo

I thought the later B7RLEs, in other words 2001 on, had a later 7.1 litre Euro 4 engine. Certainly it never sounds or feels the same as the earlier 17xx B7RLEs.

MW

Quote from: Stevo on December 28, 2022, 01:40:55 PMI thought the later B7RLEs, in other words 2001 on, had a later 7.1 litre Euro 4 engine. Certainly it never sounds or feels the same as the earlier 17xx B7RLEs.

From my understanding, at Euro 3, it was the D7C engine. Euro 4 and beyond the D7E.

That first batch of B7RLEs were Euro 3; same as the Geminis. Roughly speaking, 2007 onwards is Euro 4, and 2011(ish) being Euro 5.

Stu

Quote from: Tony on December 28, 2022, 09:25:57 AMAlthough the engine is the same the layout of some of the items attached to the engine are different, so you cannot just swap them between vehicles without a lot of modification. Same applies to the B7TL/ALX400 and B7TL/Gemini. They can be swapped but it is a lot of work. I think in all the years NX ran them only one Gemini got a modified ALX400 engine and certainly none were swapped between single and double decks.
Thanks for the detail, but it is correct that there is no such thing as a "normal Gemini engine" as stated in the absurd opening post I responded to.

As you say, despite some of the attachment layout differences, the 'core' engine is still the same on all the B7 series Volvo chassis.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

QuoteThanks for the detail, but it is correct that there is no such thing as a "normal Gemini engine" as stated in the absurd opening post I responded to.

As you say, despite some of the attachment layout differences, the 'core' engine is still the same on all the B7 series Volvo chassis.
Same with Cummins, the main block hasn't changed for years. One of the long serving fitters is currently rebuilding engines at Miller Street, along with showing apprentices how to rebuild an engine, and he can strip a euro three trident engine down to the block and then rebuild it as a euro 6 one using new component fitted to the original block.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk