News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Mobile App

Started by Ginger66, March 03, 2022, 08:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

What is actually happening. 

Managed to buy tickets okay up to Tuesday,  Tried purchasing a day ticket yesterday and the app wont let me purchase and brings up message say's security code error.

Is anyone else having a problem with the app. at the moment it is the occasional travel I do twice a week so purchasing one off tickets via the app.

Is there a time frame to get this sorted as it will be a pain to keep getting a bank card out on a bus to pay for a ticket, my place of work the cafe and uni shop are contactless and very rarely I carry pound sterling with me.

--
I use to pay on the day with card and one trip by card failed to read on the scanner then you stuck as you can't travel and I don't have other cards to interfere with bank card,  it as happened in a shop and the card did not pick up on scanner and had to use the chip and pin method to purchase milk.

Wumpty

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 03, 2022, 08:28:54 AM
What is actually happening. 

Managed to buy tickets okay up to Tuesday,  Tried purchasing a day ticket yesterday and the app wont let me purchase and brings up message say's security code error.

Is anyone else having a problem with the app. at the moment it is the occasional travel I do twice a week so purchasing one off tickets via the app.

Is there a time frame to get this sorted as it will be a pain to keep getting a bank card out on a bus to pay for a ticket, my place of work the cafe and uni shop are contactless and very rarely I carry pound sterling with me.

--
I use to pay on the day with card and one trip by card failed to read on the scanner then you stuck as you can't travel and I don't have other cards to interfere with bank card,  it as happened in a shop and the card did not pick up on scanner and had to use the chip and pin method to purchase milk.

Have you tried deleting the cache info in your app manager on your smart phone?
This tends to reset most apps.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Westy

Can you still get smart cards?

Gareth

Are WM buses compatible with Apple Pay and Android Pay? If so you could add your bank card to your smart phone wallet (if you have one of course) and pay that way?

DJ

Quote from: Gareth on March 03, 2022, 04:38:18 PM
Are WM buses compatible with Apple Pay and Android Pay? If so you could add your bank card to your smart phone wallet (if you have one of course) and pay that way?

They are, you can either use it like a contactless card on NX, where you just tap it and it charges you, or you can use it on other operators that use Ticketer to buy paper tickets.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Kevin

Hate to be that guy, but.....
You wouldn't get these troubles with a paper ticket...
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ginger66

Quote from: Wumpty on March 03, 2022, 10:26:53 AM
Have you tried deleting the cache info in your app manager on your smart phone?
This tends to reset most apps.
Cleared Cache as still getting same.

According to NX it is an issue with the banks security feature when trying to pay with card and NX are aware but the issue is ongoing for over a month with no resolve insight

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 03, 2022, 08:28:54 AM

--

I don't know about the app as I don't use it myself.

But with regards to using contactless cards, as a security feature, after a certain number of transactions or spend total, when in a shop the card reader may prompt you to enter the card and type in your PIN, I believe this is a measure that ensures the person using the card is authorised to use it.

This certainly happens to me every few days or so, as I rarely carry cash with me now, and make most of my purchases at local shops using my contactless bank card.

Now this is not an inconvenience to me if I am at my local shop, but I can imagine it may be a problem if such a security measure is 'triggered' when attempting to tap that card on a bus, as obviously there is no mechanism to insert a card and enter a PIN number. In which case all anyone can do is pop to a local shop and make a purchase, or use a local cash machine to make a balance enquiry (which requires inserting your card and entering your PIN), either of which satisfies your bank's curiosity as to whether you actually are the authorised holder of that card.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Quote from: Stu on March 03, 2022, 08:43:12 PM

I don't know about the app as I don't use it myself.

But with regards to using contactless cards, as a security feature, after a certain number of transactions or spend total, when in a shop the card reader may prompt you to enter the card and type in your PIN, I believe this is a measure that ensures the person using the card is authorised to use it.

This certainly happens to me every few days or so, as I rarely carry cash with me now, and make most of my purchases at local shops using my contactless bank card.

Now this is not an inconvenience to me if I am at my local shop, but I can imagine it may be a problem if such a security measure is 'triggered' when attempting to tap that card on a bus, as obviously there is no mechanism to insert a card and enter a PIN number. In which case all anyone can do is pop to a local shop and make a purchase, or use a local cash machine to make a balance enquiry (which requires inserting your card and entering your PIN), either of which satisfies your bank's curiosity as to whether you actually are the authorised holder of that card.

I had that problem during the pandemic,  when the Travelshops were originally closed & couldn't renew my pass.

Got caught out once or twice, so I ended up going to the local Greggs on the way, to buy a bacon roll, paying by card by PIN, to be sure the card worked on the bus!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk