News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Steam Train/Car thing seen in Acocks Green

Started by MW, June 16, 2012, 08:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

There was a slow and very polluting steam train thing in Acocks Green today. It was driving from Tyseley and was arriving in Acocks Green. It was part of some carnival event going on and it blocked up Warwick Road and made the 37 I was waiting for very late!

It looked a bit like this:

http://www.steamscenes.org.uk/images/main1.jpg

Stu

Probably something to do with the Summer Fun Day and Farmers Market that was on yesterday.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

windy miller

Michael- its called a 'Traction' engine they dont have any brakes apparently!! so you have to take a few chances now and again :). They were used to provide power to a big 'wheel' (with a belt attached to it)- the belt would then operate another 'wheel' which would make the dodgems go round at a funfair. and also to provide electricity (via a generator) to light up all the funfair lightbulbs.   Iv'e no Idea where it might have been going.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

MW

Quote from: windy miller on June 17, 2012, 05:28:02 PM
Michael- its called a 'Traction' engine they dont have any brakes apparently!! so you have to take a few chances now and again :). They were used to provide power to a big 'wheel' (with a belt attached to it)- the belt would then operate another 'wheel' which would make the dodgems go round at a funfair. and also to provide electricity (via a generator) to light up all the funfair lightbulbs.   Iv'e no Idea where it might have been going.

It was definitely part of some event, as Stu said, a farmer event, which seems rather pointless to me, but hey.

Badger

There's a fair few, one lives down Springfield Lane, Fordhouses. Wolvo's famous for it's steam engine / traction engine events. I know it can be annoying stuck behind a slow thing but it's an important part of our heritage that I'd rather not lose personally.

Shouldn't be on places like Warwick Road though, that's a bit silly.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk