News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Deregulation routes that didn’t enter service

Started by SO6597, December 29, 2020, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO6597

I've been looking through the 1986 DJ Slater WMPTE fleet list published a couple of months before deregulation.

There was a section showing the routes registered by WMT ahead of this - 3 of which didn't see the light of day in the form proposed. They're were:

49 Solihull to Rubery
77 Northfield to Kings Heath
78 Cotteridge to Kings Heath

I'm assuming the 78 eventually became the extended 27 and the 77 would've been extended from Longbridge to cover the curtailed 49?

I've also read that MRW registered a service that didn't materialise which was due to run from the Bull Ring Bus Station and would've linked several South Bham suburbs.

Can anyone shed any further light on these changes and/or why they didn't happen? Thanks.

AndrewLee

Quote from: SO6597 on December 29, 2020, 08:27:42 PM
I've been looking through the 1986 DJ Slater WMPTE fleet list published a couple of months before deregulation.

There was a section showing the routes registered by WMT ahead of this - 3 of which didn't see the light of day in the form proposed. They're were:

49 Solihull to Rubery

As a kid living in South B'ham I vaguely remember a 77 service.

The MRW service you mention, I recall the 84/85/86 all running into south birmingham. The latter running from Longbridge.

I'm assuming the 78 eventually became the extended 27 and the 77 would've been extended from Longbridge to cover the curtailed 49?

I've also read that MRW registered a service that didn't materialise which was due to run from the Bull Ring Bus Station and would've linked several South Bham suburbs.

Can anyone shed any further light on these changes and/or why they didn't happen? Thanks.

j789

Quote from: SO6597 on December 29, 2020, 08:27:42 PM

49 Solihull to Rubery

From past conversations with old midland red drivers, the routes already mentioned sound about right - 84/5/6. Apparently one ran into Hawkesley estate before any WMT route did and this was I initially very successful. Unfortunately however, the route was then interrun with a Redditch route and timings became very tight, often leading to this Hawkesley route being missed out. Once the reliability went, likely coupled with WMT starting to serve the estate, it eventually got abandoned. Like many late 1980s/90s routes, MRW really should have persevered more as they were a quality competing company to WMT, far better than any of the other competitors at that time. The routes Petes travel etc took over from them have all pretty much died a sad death since then, 440, 123 etc as the quality went.

SO6597

Quote from: j789 on December 30, 2020, 08:41:35 PM
From past conversations with old midland red drivers, the routes already mentioned sound about right - 84/5/6. Apparently one ran into Hawkesley estate before any WMT route did and this was I initially very successful. Unfortunately however, the route was then interrun with a Redditch route and timings became very tight, often leading to this Hawkesley route being missed out. Once the reliability went, likely coupled with WMT starting to serve the estate, it eventually got abandoned. Like many late 1980s/90s routes, MRW really should have persevered more as they were a quality competing company to WMT, far better than any of the other competitors at that time. The routes Petes travel etc took over from them have all pretty much died a sad death since then, 440, 123 etc as the quality went.

Thanks, I know about the 84/5 but I think another route was registered which didn't end up operating - the 86 picked up some of it between Northfield and Woodgate Valley I believe.

AndrewLee

Quote from: SO6597 on December 30, 2020, 09:01:47 PM
Thanks, I know about the 84/5 but I think another route was registered which didn't end up operating - the 86 picked up some of it between Northfield and Woodgate Valley I believe.

Can't believe I remember this, the 86 started at Longbridge Lane (terminus point opposite the shops), left Turves Green to the bottom, followed what was then the 27 route to Northfield, left Bell lane then what was the 29A to Weoley Castle Square. I think then it ran down Barnes Hill but I was only young so hadn't stayed on it 😂

SO6597

Quote from: AndrewLee on December 30, 2020, 10:28:16 PM
Can't believe I remember this, the 86 started at Longbridge Lane (terminus point opposite the shops), left Turves Green to the bottom, followed what was then the 27 route to Northfield, left Bell lane then what was the 29A to Weoley Castle Square. I think then it ran down Barnes Hill but I was only young so hadn't stayed on it 😂

Yes and it interworked with the 85 at Longbridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk