News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Should the 10H be renumbered?

Started by sonic84, January 29, 2020, 07:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

I think part of the problem is that these services are subsidised and when they put the Tenders out, they don't show much imagination and look to see how the services can be improved.

Have always said in Stourbridge the 298/9 could be combined with the 7 which would open up new oppurtunity's for people on those routes.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 29, 2020, 10:09:21 PM
I think part of the problem is that these services are subsidised and when they put the Tenders out, they don't show much imagination and look to see how the services can be improved.

Have always said in Stourbridge the 298/9 could be combined with the 7 which would open up new oppurtunity's for people on those routes.
The tendering rules are strict a business case has to be put by the operator as a sustainable option at TfWM for what you describe to happen the best example I can give is the 24 & 208 becoming part of the commercial 14 when NXWM provided an acceptable business in lieu of the actual tender the same applies to the 54 and 10 award.

sonic84

Yes, sorry autocorrect changed renumbered to remembered. Thank you Stu for amending the original post.

Rightly or wrongly the 10H now provides a Ladywood to QE link that has only existed in recent years. This link was never considered necessary before and from my experience the 10H is not exactly busy.

What about renumbering the 10 as the X24 if the route in Quinton can be aligned more closely with that of the 24.

Could the 10H and 10S be combined to run Birmingham to Selly Oak perhaps as an off peak only 25?

Ravenhurst Road seems quite popular so could the 54A be extended to the QE along the current 10S route... or some off peak 48s could go via Ravenhurst Road.

There's lots of possibilities which could be considered.

@Stuharris 6360 I also like your idea of combining the 298/299 with the 7.

Similarly the way things are going the 14 could be combined with the 231!  :)

richardjones210368

Quote from: sonic84 on January 29, 2020, 10:27:51 PM
Yes, sorry autocorrect changed renumbered to remembered. Thank you Stu for amending the original post.

Rightly or wrongly the 10H now provides a Ladywood to QE link that has only existed in recent years. This link was never considered necessary before and from my experience the 10H is not exactly busy.

What about renumbering the 10 as the X24 if the route in Quinton can be aligned more closely with that of the 24.

Could the 10H and 10S be combined to run Birmingham to Selly Oak perhaps as an off peak only 25?

Ravenhurst Road seems quite popular so could the 54A be extended to the QE along the current 10S route... or some off peak 48s could go via Ravenhurst Road.

There's lots of possibilities which could be considered.

@Stuharris 6360 I also like your idea of combining the 298/299 with the 7.

Similarly the way things are going the 14 could be combined with the 231!  :)
@sonic84  the 14 will not be combined with the 231 under any circumstances I can assure you the 14 uses Kent Road & Manor Way the 231 Mucklow Hill and Narrow Lane they are very different routes and impossible to integrate I can assure you.

Trident 4194

The 10H lost the only useful part of the route. Tesco to the QE. It's current form is utterly pointless and contributing to climate change just by running the stupid service. I caught the 10 the other evening too, and tbf that was much better used, with at least 6-7 people on the first departure from Birmingham in the evening, shame it happens to be a rattly e200

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 29, 2020, 11:00:09 PM
The 10H lost the only useful part of the route. Tesco to the QE. It's current form is utterly pointless and contributing to climate change just by running the stupid service. I caught the 10 the other evening too, and tbf that was much better used, with at least 6-7 people on the first departure from Birmingham in the evening, shame it happens to be a rattly e200

6 - 7 people on board isn't exactly a great success.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Steveminor

As I've said previously it isnt about making the route a "success", it's about performing a vital service for people who would otherwise be unable to walk to a core bus route.

Bob

Regarding renumbering in general personally i think changing the 3xx 4xx 5xx area numbers was a bit of a stupid thing to do. If it aint broke.....

mesub

Quote from: sonic84 link=topic=5666.msg273753#msg273753

I preferred it when it ran to Northfield. Much quicker than the 27!
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

ellspurs

Quote from: Jack on January 29, 2020, 10:03:26 PM
You may as well scrap it without a replacement, doubt anyone would even notice it's gone, let alone it existing.

It can be remembered for being one of the most pointless routes in Birmingham, beating the 38.

Hey, the old, old 98 route (from Sheldon Wheatsheaf, Coventry Road to Hay Mills Asda, Coventry Road via every back road it could find) is up at the top of the pointless route chart.

Busboy105

Quote from: ellspurs on January 31, 2020, 04:49:31 PM
Hey, the old, old 98 route (from Sheldon Wheatsheaf, Coventry Road to Hay Mills Asda, Coventry Road via every back road it could find) is up at the top of the pointless route chart.
Did it used to serve Rowlands road, Manor House Lane and Ridpool Road?

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 31, 2020, 05:13:29 PM
Did it used to serve Rowlands road, Manor House Lane and Ridpool Road?

Rowlands Road/Manor House Lane no, Ridpool Road yes.

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/XDAAAOSwbzpdWbEw/$/Travel-West-Midlands-route-98-Birmingham-Bus-Timetable-_57.jpg

Used to love bouncing along on the back of a 98 to do the 10 minute journey along the Coventry Road in 68 minutes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk