News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Grey/red bus shelter repaints

Started by Stu, July 04, 2019, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a number of bus shelters along the Stratford Road in Sparkbrook being painted into what are presumably 'West Midlands Buses' colours: dark grey and red.

To be honest I first saw one in Selly Oak a couple of months back, but as it looked 'isolated' I presumed at the time that it had just been 'recycled' from elsewhere.

My first impression was that it reminded me very much of bus shelters in London, being very similar in colour.

While the new colours make them look dull and insipid, at least they look a bit smarter now than when they were in blue/orange.

Now I just wonder if they are planning to replace the stop flag vinyls, as the NWM blue/white flags now look 'odd' on the repainted shelters!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

paulb1973

There have been few recent repaints in the red lining in Coventry too. More silver/grey with the red. This design of shelter introduced a good 10 years ago now, seems to be the 'standard' TfWM/NWM design - although fancier shelter designs have been used (e.g. in Birmingham city centre).  I assume the same company supplies all models and are capable of have digital/illuminated advertising panels attached should that be suitable.

wulfrun

Quote from: Stu on July 04, 2019, 07:27:42 PM
Now I just wonder if they are planning to replace the stop flag vinyls, as the NWM blue/white flags now look 'odd' on the repainted shelters!

In March 2019, TfWM undertook a roadside information consultation exercise to ask the public which bus stop flag design they preferred from a choice of three.

All three options look the same as the one chosen.

The differences being

• had no bus icon and displayed the route numbers in white text on the red background (very similar to old NWM Navy Blue flags),
  • (as shown) displayed each route number in a white box with black text.
  • Was identical to the second, but some route numbers are displayed in boxes using a coloured background.

After consultation, it was decided the second option will be trailed over the summer at key locations, where if there is no further objective feedback received; this flag design will be used for all future service changes.

The third design (which I think was TfWM preferred option) will be subject to further investigation, research and engagement, as it was found from the near 900 responses received, that many found ambiguity over what the colours represented, coupled with feedback from access groups that the route colours could be very confusing and prohibitive for people with colour blindness, as well as a need to educate passengers around the use of colours.
"Forward in Unity"

Stu

Quote from: wulfrun on July 07, 2019, 02:15:45 PM
In March 2019, TfWM undertook a roadside information consultation exercise to ask the public which bus stop flag design they preferred from a choice of three.

All three options look the same as the one chosen.

The differences being

• had no bus icon and displayed the route numbers in white text on the red background (very similar to old NWM Navy Blue flags),
  • (as shown) displayed each route number in a white box with black text.
  • Was identical to the second, but some route numbers are displayed in boxes using a coloured background.

After consultation, it was decided the second option will be trailed over the summer at key locations, where if there is no further objective feedback received; this flag design will be used for all future service changes.

The third design (which I think was TfWM preferred option) will be subject to further investigation, research and engagement, as it was found from the near 900 responses received, that many found ambiguity over what the colours represented, coupled with feedback from access groups that the route colours could be very confusing and prohibitive for people with colour blindness, as well as a need to educate passengers around the use of colours.

@wulfrun Can I ask where you obtained this information? As I have been informed that this is confidential and not for public release?
My locals:

wulfrun

Quote from: Stu on July 08, 2019, 08:31:42 PM
@wulfrun Can I ask where you obtained this information? As I have been informed that this is confidential and not for public release?

@Stu The WMCA published this information in the week beginning 17th June 2019. You can view all three examples in the  WMCA Transport Delivery Committee meeting Agenda: 24th June 2019 See Section 11 "Bus Alliance Update", Paragraph 21.
"Forward in Unity"

Westy

How come they've gone back to the blue & white flags with recent changes?

Stu

Quote from: Westy on July 09, 2019, 04:18:12 PM
How come they've gone back to the blue & white flags with recent changes?

Because as above, the design has not yet been finalised.

I can only presume that the flags that have been replaced with the 'West Midlands Buses' red/white/grey design was something of a 'one-off' trial.
My locals:

SK68MEV

Bus stops on Bromford lane we're getting painted today and had the red bracket that hold bus information
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Quote from: SK68MEV on July 09, 2019, 07:52:40 PM
Bus stops on Bromford lane we're getting painted today and had the red bracket that hold bus information
Noticed they've done 2 at Fox and Goose and the 11C stop at St Margarets Rd lights on Bromford Lane.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SK68MEV

Quote from: 2206 on July 09, 2019, 07:55:38 PM
Noticed they've done 2 at Fox and Goose and the 11C stop at St Margarets Rd lights on Bromford Lane.
yeh I seen them painting them as I live on that road
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk