News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Anti social behaviour tackling

Started by monkeyjoe, January 11, 2019, 06:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

What this I'm hearing in London about new rules to protect bus users in the West mids ?

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 11, 2019, 06:30:34 PM
What this I'm hearing in London about new rules to protect bus users in the West mids ?

See: https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/new-powers-to-tackle-anti-social-behaviour-on-the-buses/

QuoteA plan to use new powers for tackling anti-social behaviour on buses in the West Midlands, will be considered by the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) next Friday (January 11).

If approved, Transport for the West Midlands (TfWM), which is part of the WMCA, will invite views on a set of proposed byelaws which would apply to buses, bus shelters and bus stations.

The byelaws would give enforcement officers greater powers to deal with a range of anti-social acts including smoking and vaping, being intoxicated by alcohol or drugs, vandalising property, obstructing passengers, playing loud music and threatening or offensive behaviour.

It's the same thing as elsewhere: new laws and regulations get introduced, while the existing laws are just simply not being enforced, and all that happens is the new laws don't get enforced either.

For example, it is already a criminal offence to smoke inside a bus, yet how many people have ever been prosecuted for it?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 11, 2019, 06:47:44 PM
See: https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/new-powers-to-tackle-anti-social-behaviour-on-the-buses/

For example, it is already a criminal offence to smoke inside a bus, yet how many people have ever been prosecuted for it?

At one point it was about 10 a month. The problem with the current law is it has to be Birmingham (or other relevant) Council that prosecute people for smoking in a public place.

monkeyjoe

Just seen it on midlands today, pr to get passenger numbers up. If it works does this mean east Brum can have new buses lol

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 11, 2019, 06:50:52 PM
At one point it was about 10 a month. The problem with the current law is it has to be Birmingham (or other relevant) Council that prosecute people for smoking in a public place.

Thanks for that, and fair point. But because there is never anything publicised about people being prosecuted for smoking on buses, people have a perception that smokers on buses are always "getting away with it". And then likewise, there are people who have no qualms about lighting up a cigarette on a bus, because they feel they'll 'get away with it' and won't get caught, because they have a perception that the law is not being enforced.

That's my feeling anyway, and I will wait to see what these proposed new 'bye-laws' are. Unfortunately I feel the problem won't be solved by introducing new laws, the problem is that there are far too many people who simply have no respect for anybody apart from themselves, and certainly have no respect for law or general standards of decency.

For the record, yes, I am a smoker myself, and I wouldn't dream of lighting up on a bus because I am a decent person, who respects the law, and respects the right of other people to not have to breathe in my smoke. And I can also survive a 15 to 20 minute bus ride without feeling the need to 'spark one up'. ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stu on January 11, 2019, 08:34:53 PM
Thanks for that, and fair point. But because there is never anything publicised about people being prosecuted for smoking on buses, people have a perception that smokers on buses are always "getting away with it". And then likewise, there are people who have no qualms about lighting up a cigarette on a bus, because they feel they'll 'get away with it' and won't get caught, because they have a perception that the law is not being enforced.

That's my feeling anyway, and I will wait to see what these proposed new 'bye-laws' are. Unfortunately I feel the problem won't be solved by introducing new laws, the problem is that there are far too many people who simply have no respect for anybody apart from themselves, and certainly have no respect for law or general standards of decency.

For the record, yes, I am a smoker myself, and I wouldn't dream of lighting up on a bus because I am a decent person, who respects the law, and respects the right of other people to not have to breathe in my smoke. And I can also survive a 15 to 20 minute bus ride without feeling the need to 'spark one up'. ;)

Nowadays it seems more weed than smoke!

I love Walsall buses

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 11, 2019, 09:39:18 PM

Nowadays it seems more weed than smoke!
Would drinking beer on buses be illegal

Trident 4194

Quote from: I love Walsall buses on January 11, 2019, 09:40:21 PM

Not illegal but perhaps punishment or a fine especially if found littering

I love Walsall buses

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 11, 2019, 09:52:27 PM
Not illegal but perhaps punishment or a fine especially if found littering
Ok thanks @Trident 4194

SK68MEV

In November 2017 at the end I remember on the the school bus 70 the driver had put it out of service and a group of men were trying to board and were persistently pressing the emergency door open button until a man from the shop outside the bus stop at fox and goose came and moved em away so the bus driver could drive off and on Monday a lad was trying to get onto the platinum but was stinking of weed and he to pressed the emergency button on the door as the driver pulls away and all the alarms were going off on the bus and he was doing it to other buses they need to put CCTV at main bus stops
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

monkeyjoe

On mids today's said rules would apply to bus stations and shelters

Jack

Quote from: I love Walsall buses on January 11, 2019, 09:40:21 PM
As long as they don't leave glass bottles to roll all over and smash then I don't have a problem, same with cans.

B.C Driver

I find that although smoking still exists on the buses, it seems a lot less than say 10 years ago.

I would like a real blitz on fare dodgers, my own opionion is the revenue team could do with being enlarged.
As well as groups of revenue inspectors waiting at key gateway stops, I'd love to see a group of 2 boarding a bus, checking tickets, get off and cross over the road and do the same again and again. Travelling to the outer suburbs too.
As @2900 said, the scale of fraud is large and I feel the highest managers are unaware of the scale and losses that the company are loosing.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk