News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Memorable Bus Advertising Campaigns

Started by Wumpty, September 05, 2019, 10:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

As some of you know, I work in the media and I'm really interested in how public transport advertises and encourages people onto buses (and trains), and how companies engage with their staff.

What's you memorable bus (and coach) advertising campaigns or internal communications? These can be as far back as you like - especially from our more seasoned members who may remember the PTE/Corporation campaigns.

As a start, I came across these recently:

West Midlands Travel - "The Route To Success".

West Midlands Travel - "Going Forward With A Common Purpose".

West Midlands Travel - "Central Television Transition Commercial".

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Gareth

Every time I hear Cass Elliot's "it's getting better" I think of the West Midlands Travel advert from the 1990s. 'Getting better, growing stronger. Frequent and friendly. Getting better every day!'

Wumpty

Quote from: Gareth on September 05, 2019, 12:38:21 PM
Every time I hear Cass Elliot's "it's getting better" I think of the West Midlands Travel advert from the 1990s. 'Getting better, growing stronger. Frequent and friendly. Getting better every day!'

I've tried desperately to get a copy of that advert to no avail. It certainly gave bus travel a warm and cuddly feel, though the reality couldn't have been further from the truth with multi-coloured Nationals and Fleetlines with hastily-applied fleetnames!

I think this followed the "Miles Better", and, "Miles More Service", campaigns.

Westy

At least we've gone past the obvious fleetname sticker period now!

Cheese

Growing up in Sheffield, in the late 80s and early 90s when the minibus revolution was taking over, SYT introduced lots of minibuses on high frequency routes in Sheffield with the branding 'Eager Beavers'.  I can still to this day remember the ad for them on the local radio station (Hallam FM) which had the very catchy chorus of 'Everbody's catching Eager Beaver fever, everybody's catching Eager Beaver fever!'...

To this day I still wonder how they managed to do this without anyone going, er, hang on...

Wumpty

Quote from: Cheese on September 05, 2019, 08:13:15 PM
Growing up in Sheffield, in the late 80s and early 90s when the minibus revolution was taking over, SYT introduced lots of minibuses on high frequency routes in Sheffield with the branding 'Eager Beavers'.  I can still to this day remember the ad for them on the local radio station (Hallam FM) which had the very catchy chorus of 'Everbody's catching Eager Beaver fever, everybody's catching Eager Beaver fever!'...

To this day I still wonder how they managed to do this without anyone going, er, hang on...

I remember that on Radio Hallam/Hallam FM (not sure if Big John was still on breakfast then?!) - I think a lot of advertising campaigns back then were allowed to get away with a lot more tongue-in-cheek advertising because it worked.

Thanks for your comments Cheese!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk