News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Blinds

Started by 598, May 06, 2012, 10:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 things:
Why did all nxwm's buses with electric blinds used to have the number on the left hand side but now they're all on the right?
And, why do London buses all have roller blinds??

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Well for the number point, I presume it's so the route number is closest to the waiting passenger. With the number on the right hand side it means that as a bus approaches the pavement the number can be more clearly seen.

lgr

I always assumed it was a tourism thing - the typical depiction of London Buses has always been the old routemasters with the roller blinds, and is something people all over the world can associate with London. However, a friend of mine who lives in London told me once it was to display all the destinations at once, because digi blinds mean showing the destinations
in sequence. It did seem plausible to me at the time, but so many London routes just have the terminus on the front with one of the calling points displayed on the side, so I don't really know
It could be both, or neither.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: wilmotm on May 06, 2012, 11:01:48 PM
Well for the number point, I presume it's so the route number is closest to the waiting passenger. With the number on the right hand side it means that as a bus approaches the pavement the number can be more clearly seen.

I agree.  It's easier for people at bus stops and it particularly benefits people with poor eyesight.

Some older folks may recall that most of Birmingham Corporation's Daimler Fleetlines (for example) had number blinds on the nearside.  But after one person operation had taken hold, later deliveries had number blinds on the offside so that drivers could change them from the cab.

suavegarv

The Optare Spectras had motorised number blinds all round but the side and rear ones eventually had a mind of their own and were not always displaying the same route number as on the front!!

Oh I see, I've always wondered who the spectra blinds were operated, there was one bus with the number 50 always keyed into it

Quote from: suavegarv on May 07, 2012, 09:40:56 PM
The Optare Spectras had motorised number blinds all round but the side and rear ones eventually had a mind of their own and were not always displaying the same route number as on the front!!

Ash

Why do some of the R and S reg mercs have the side service number box missing, they all had them from new but quite a few apear to be missing. Even the enrefurb ones have them missing so its not due to them being refurbed

I thought you original ones fell off  ;D. The original notes were just square. Didn't really look secure, I think the only one that had/has one is 1573, and the blinds were taken out of that one. If see you Mercs nowadays, they have a bit more rounded service boxes, they look a lot more secure, or they just have a black outline of where the service box used to be  :)

Quote from: Ash on May 08, 2012, 10:38:47 PM
Why do some of the R and S reg mercs have the side service number box missing, they all had them from new but quite a few apear to be missing. Even the enrefurb ones have them missing so its not due to them being refurbed

matt904102

I believe it is a DiPTAC thing. Easy to do with the electric displays. Cost a fortune to change the buses fitted with roller blinds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk