News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rush Hour / School Holidays

Started by Ginger66, July 25, 2018, 06:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Why is it that children today are not giving up there seats for adults on buses/trams/trains.   I recall when i was young i had to stand up or sit on my parents lap. 

CL

Quote from: Ginger66 on July 25, 2018, 06:05:36 AM
Why is it that children today are not giving up there seats for adults on buses/trams/trains.   I recall when i was young i had to stand up or sit on my parents lap. 

Could be for a number of reasons, honestly... It may be down to anxiety of conversing with another individual, or simply down to rudeness or blatant ignorance, for that matter. For myself, anxiety definitely gets the better of me, mostly. Personally, I think it's unfair to blame children, specifically. How old are we talking here? Juniors or teenagers? I'd hate to boast, but I've given up my fair share of seats in the past - when I've managed to muster up the courage, that is. Whenever that happens, it is usually met with gratitude - which, I can't deny, is a pleasant feeling.

In today's society, I don't think it's possible to justify the actions of some. Going back to some reasons why [children] can't/won't give up seats is probably because everybody follows the 'first come, first served' mindset. Either that, or they believe that they don't owe anything to strangers. I've no problem with individuals occupying seats, however old they may be; I do have a problem with bags on seats, however.

I recall an incident on the Outer Circle a few years ago where someone refused to move their bag for someone to take a seat. Luckily, there were other seats available, but the person in question did receive some "verbal feedback" from other passengers. Come to think of it, the individual was youthful, I suppose. On a personal note, living so close to the City Centre, I'm usually on and off the bus within 10 or 20 minutes. This may also be the case with others, where they're only on the bus for a short amount of time, and need to rest for just a brief moment.

But please, don't let my counterarguments reflect my views entirely. I understand what you mean, though, perhaps not the correct context. I'd only like to point out several factors which may be the cause of your predicament.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Gareth

Unless it's changed in recent years, conditions of carriage stipulate that a child travelling on reduced fare must give up their seat to a full paying adult.

Even if that rule doesn't exist anymore, it's just good manners to. Sadly lacking in many children and indeed adults.

WMT3000

Quote from: Gareth on July 25, 2018, 08:14:10 AM
Unless it's changed in recent years, conditions of carriage stipulate that a child travelling on reduced fare must give up their seat to a full paying adult.

Even if that rule doesn't exist anymore, it's just good manners to. Sadly lacking in many children and indeed adults.
I think you've hit the nail on the head when you mention good manners. Sadly, children are taught nowadays that nice people finish last.

Smethwickian

Quote from: Gareth on July 25, 2018, 08:14:10 AM

Sadly cannot see that rule in the CoC currently online dated June 2015. It does indeed mean reliance on that dwindling trait called 'good manners'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk