News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Northfield Shopping Centre - Petition to reinstate axed South B'ham Bus Stops.

Started by 2206, October 26, 2017, 10:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/reinstate-bus-stops-demand-northfield-13796582
Someone has launched a pettition on behalf of Northfield shopping centre to end the 6 month trial and reinstate the axed South B'ham Bus Stops.
The shops in Northfield and Northfield Shopping Centre are also claiming it is having an impact on trade.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on October 26, 2017, 10:46:12 PM
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/reinstate-bus-stops-demand-northfield-13796582
I do think some of the stops are badly placed. When I passed through the other week it wasn't great. I noticed people have to do a walk. The 39/A see's a few elderly people who now do a walk. Personally, I think this 'close these bus stops cause we want to' has to stop and TfWM just grow up.

MasterPlan

Good on them. If it's the stop I'm thinking of I can't see why that one was chosen in the first place.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Kevin

It's the only one in the whole trial that to me seems a bit strange, so I find it hilarious they're calling for all 59 stops to be reinstated
but I'm calling bullshit that it's affecting trade - the main entrance to the shopping centre is closer to the bus stops just the other side of the lights ffs
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

don

What I find strange is that TfWM and NXWM claim by not using the stops it will reduce traffic congestion. However, if it is also claimed they are rarely used then how can it reduce traffic congestion?

So I'm not surprised there is a petition. I'm all for reviewing the need for/position of bus stops but unless I'm missing something, this proposal sounds like someone's idea of a quick win, and doesn't sound like its been fully thought through - the type of thing politicians come up with...
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Tony

Quote from: don on October 27, 2017, 08:47:58 AM
What I find strange is that TfWM and NXWM claim by not using the stops it will reduce traffic congestion. However, if it is also claimed they are rarely used then how can it reduce traffic congestion?

A bus stop just before or after Traffic Lights can result in 'Wasted' green time even if a bus only has to stop to let one passenger off.

For the time it takes a bus to stop, let someone off and pull away again it is possible that the traffic lights have cycled and no vehicles have gone across on green causing double the number waiting for the next cycle and starting to build a traffic jam

cardew

Case in point re traffic lights is the 11C and 35 stop on Vicarage Road just before the lights at Howard Road/Grove Road. You can almost guarantee a bus stopping there will not make it across the lights even if they change to green while the bus is loading/unloading. There are limited options for any traffic behind to pass the stationary bus.

V89MOA

Quote from: cardew on October 27, 2017, 10:31:06 AM
Case in point re traffic lights is the 11C and 35 stop on Vicarage Road just before the lights at Howard Road/Grove Road. You can almost guarantee a bus stopping there will not make it across the lights even if they change to green while the bus is loading/unloading. There are limited options for any traffic behind to pass the stationary bus.
Those lights are a disgrace anyway, they stay green for less than 15 seconds and are on red well over a minute. Come 3 o clock when the schools come out and the traffic builds up it can take the 11C easily more than 15 minutes to just get through from Kings Heath. Green bus drivers don't help either leaving their buses blocking half the road off so the 11A gets stuck too trying to get past with a jam on the opposite side not moving.

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on October 27, 2017, 08:51:48 AM
A bus stop just before or after Traffic Lights can result in 'Wasted' green time even if a bus only has to stop to let one passenger off.

For the time it takes a bus to stop, let someone off and pull away again it is possible that the traffic lights have cycled and no vehicles have gone across on green causing double the number waiting for the next cycle and starting to build a traffic jam

A bus stop close to a set of traffic lights allows convenient interchange especially on the Inner Circle. We hear a lot about 400 metres between stops. A figure never seems to be quoted as to what constitutes the maximum interchange distance, if one exists!

MW

Ah that stop on Vicarage Road. You've reminded me how irritating that stop was. You guys are right. If you stop there, you're not making it through the lights.

Dom

Quote from: don on October 27, 2017, 08:47:58 AM

Because TfWM have data collectors who monitor bus stops and passengers boarding and alighting, which feedback is then relayed to NX who make said decisions.

DJ

Quote from: JoNi on October 27, 2017, 01:50:33 PM
A bus stop close to a set of traffic lights allows convenient interchange especially on the Inner Circle. We hear a lot about 400 metres between stops. A figure never seems to be quoted as to what constitutes the maximum interchange distance, if one exists!

The few times I've used the 11A/C, I've gotten off a 126 at Bearwood and walked a short distance to the stops there, right by the lights. They don't cause issues though as they don't obstruct the main carriageway, but obviously there's going to be places where that's not possible.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

1 stop reinstated on services, 63, 98 and X61 as per TFWM request, outside Northfield Shopping Centre from February 4th.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk