News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Services that mostly carry fresh air

Started by woody38, February 02, 2017, 07:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody38

When ever I see a bus I always look at it to see how many people are on it, don't understand why I do it just something I have always done, back to the subject in the Wolverhampton area the routes by me that never seem to have more than 5 or 6 people on them sometimes less are the 25 Wolverhampton-Pendeford via Bilston & Wednesfield & the 32/33 Northwood Park Circulars the 32 does have competition I realise that but surely these routes can't make any money for NXWM

My kind of services that carry fresh air the old 128/9 to blackheath 127 blackheath/ Dudley late evening with a good metro bus fantastic, I have done many a journey not a single sole gets on. 

monkeyjoe

I'm not sure I would describe the air as fresh

Trident 4194

Quote from: monkeyjoe on February 02, 2017, 06:49:56 PM
I'm not sure I would describe the air as fresh

Not with the lack of investment near you ;). To me there are always parts of a route which don't carry many people but overall not too bad.

Ashley 60171

Plenty of demand in the peaks on 32/33. 25 is quieter at that end but still an important link from that side of town to Wednesfjeld etc.

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Trident 4194

j789

I have spoken with a number of people 'in the know' in management etc about how many passengers are needed to run a service commercially. Whilst there is no exact figure as it depends on the vehicle/ terrain/ distance travelled over an hour etc, but a generic 30 passengers an hour (paying or concession) was surmised as being the minimum to run a service profitably. Like I say, this is not precise because of so many other factors but can at least suggest a round figure for an 'average' service around a town or city, country routes being different. Therefore, a double decker may look empty but could still be making a profit even with only a few passengers on at any time, as long as there was a constant 'few' getting on along the route.

As a very general guessitimate to costs per hour (with a bus doing an average 20 miles in that time) I'd say:
£10 for the driver
£7 fuel
£5 for engineers/cleaners/ management etc - this is obviously averaged over the whole garage fleet as each bus doesn't need a separate engineer!
Deprivation of vehicle value - hard to say what that would be.

But I would say a conservative guess would be £25 per vehicle per hour. Would be interesting to know if Tony had a better idea of costs (again I know this would vary route to route).

It's an interesting point.

j789

or rather depreciation of vehicle value, not deprivation!

GeminiFan1991

It's also worth noting that some services are paid for. I read a post on here that mentioned the 97A journeys are paid for by either the Airport/ NEC so even if passengers don't board the bus, the service is still "Profitable" in the general sense as it's running costs have been covered. I'd imagine a similar thing happens for work or private related runs. I know for the Amazon services, their workers had to foot the bill but I think Cap Gemini they board free as I had an interview there and I think it was mentioned on a leaflet.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

monkeyjoe

A bus doing 20 miles in an hour Really????

Kevin

Worth remembering the quietest routes are likely to be subsidised to an extent by the authorities so don't necessarily even have to carry even half that

Quote from: monkeyjoe on February 02, 2017, 11:52:38 PM
A bus doing 20 miles in an hour Really????

As an average it ain't a bad shout, perhaps more like 15 in urban areas
X51 does a round trip in just over an hour, there's 20 miles, yeah it's express but also fully within built up areas, country routes could easily be quicker. Just because you're used to London traffic
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

karl724223

Every arriva bus I saw up Dudley last night

Ashley 60171

Another figure I have heard of (unsure if it's hard fact) but a service has to carry at least 10 people a journey end to end for it to be considered "socially necessary".

Steveminor

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on February 03, 2017, 08:49:39 AM
Another figure I have heard of (unsure if it's hard fact) but a service has to carry at least 10 people a journey end to end for it to be considered "socially necessary".
Yes but then they take into account the cost per passenger to deem if the service could run or not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk