News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Travel Gateshead

Started by sryan188, January 11, 2016, 05:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sryan188

Sorry to start a new thread but didn't know where else to put this.

I found something very interesting on the UK Intellectual Property Search whilst doing some very early morning searches for work and checking a name unrelated to transport that may of been associated with the NX group.

I found a trademark and logo registered by 'West Midlands Travel Limited' (the legal name of NXWM) which was registered on 22/07/03 for Travel Gateshead which looks very similar to the Travel Dundee logo with the colours of Travel Merry Hill.

Did NX ever operate bus services in Gateshead as i cannot find anything relating to it or was it planned and never happened.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00002338317
Trademark number - UK00002338317

Any ideas???

Bryan

What an interesting discovery!

NX haven't operated any bus services in Gateshead but whether or not it was considered I've no idea.

Dom

It seems very strange because Gateshead's is Newcastle way. Hmm very interesting

winston

I seem to remember First Group were threatening to set-up in Newcastle during various spats with Stagecoach, but I don't recall any interests from NX/TWM

Solo1

What bus firms did they buy& later
sell I know there was London but I thought
they thought some firms up north &later sold them

winston

Quote from: Solo1 on January 11, 2016, 10:22:32 AM
What bus firms did they buy& later
sell I know there was London but I thought
they thought some firms up north &later sold them

North East Bus (Untied/Tee's & District/TMS & Yourbus Darlington) - Cowie Group (now Arriva) acquired the operation on 31st July 1996, some years before that trademark was registered

PM

Quote from: Winston on January 11, 2016, 10:34:58 AM
North East Bus (Untied/Tee's & District/TMS & Yourbus Darlington) - Cowie Group (now Arriva) acquired the operation on 31st July 1996, some years before that trademark was registered

An acquisition by Arriva that enabled Northumbria and United to once again be joined together after enforced split. Wasn't it a highly profitable business at that time before Arriva messed it up which they've turned around since 2013? Gateshead isn't really United territory though, it's always been solid Go North East territory, and any operation in the area would thus be primarily attacking GNE. Unless it was registered when GNE stepped on their toes south of Gateshead ie Tees/Durham/Darlington to fet them off? Very interesting bit of history and very good spot!

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on January 11, 2016, 11:50:45 AM
An acquisition by Arriva that enabled Northumbria and United to once again be joined together after enforced split. Wasn't it a highly profitable business at that time before Arriva messed it up which they've turned around since 2013? Gateshead isn't really United territory though, it's always been solid Go North East territory, and any operation in the area would thus be primarily attacking GNE. Unless it was registered when GNE stepped on their toes south of Gateshead ie Tees/Durham/Darlington to fet them off? Very interesting bit of history and very good spot!

I see to remember margins were pretty high when first acquired for the type of operation, look as though they were 10%+ at time of sale to Cowie
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/national-express-group-announces-sale-of-north-east-bus-156424365.html

PM

Declined substantially afterwards, margins have risen a lot due to MAX/Sapphire plus fundamentally Arriva are left running highly profitable core routes. The NE is good bus territory and despite what local politicians might claim it's still an area of high usage.

DavieDD2

In a similar vein, were there not rumours of NX expanding their Scottish operations 2 or 3 years ago? somewhere in the central belt if memory serves me right.

winston

Quote from: DavieDD2 on January 11, 2016, 03:01:42 PM
In a similar vein, were there not rumours of NX expanding their Scottish operations 2 or 3 years ago? somewhere in the central belt if memory serves me right.

There were rumours that NX were looking to acquire Livingston & Larbert from the First Group UK bus disposals, but I don't think there was ever any substance to them

wembley86

could have been part of a business plan, and logos was used on paperwork only,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk