News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

158 856

Started by 4504, May 30, 2012, 12:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

There's a picture of a class 158
158 856, http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/Class158/158856.html
And it's being operated by central trains
My questions are, when did they operate class 158s, what routes and what's happened to that train?
Also there's a picture of 150 267 at Worcester Foregate Street, http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/Class150/150267.html
It's being operated by Arriva, can this be explained, I thought it was first great western and London midland that operated services at this station

windy miller

4504- I can tell you that Central trains had units 158844 to 158864 about ten years ago which were based at tyseley, and ran services primarily from Nottingham to Cardiff- but also seen on BHam-Hereford svcs. Although TS also had an earlier batch- (158782-158797) I think these were transfered to NH (Newton Heath) when the 170/5 series became more common users.   Not sure about the Arriva
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

windy miller

Sorry, I meant to add that I believe this unit, (158856)- and about 18 others - may now be seen in Nottingham and in Blue/white livery,often Running services on longer distances ,I'm guessing Manchester piccadilly to Norwich would be one example. (these services often run in pairs). The 150267 was originaly in 'RR' livery (Blue/White with thin black stripes) when in use on the cardiff valley routes at around the same time, so the picture in arriva colours would have been taken much later.

Why did CT get rid of them?  >:( I really like class 158s, what was used to replace them?

Quote from: windy miller on May 30, 2012, 05:03:56 PM
4504- I can tell you that Central trains had units 158844 to 158864 about ten years ago which were based at tyseley, and ran services primarily from Nottingham to Cardiff- but also seen on BHam-Hereford svcs. Although TS also had an earlier batch- (158782-158797) I think these were transfered to NH (Newton Heath) when the 170/5 series became more common users.   Not sure about the Arriva

windy miller

4504 I imagine they would have been surplus to requirements the 170/5's had to go somewhere, there simply was'nt enough room for both at tyseley. The first group of these units -158701 to 158746 were originaly the 'mainstay' of all scottish Express services. I travelled on many of them between glasgow Queen St and Edinburgh- (via Falkirk HL). When the 'new' 170' units were introduced these 158's got demoted to the Queen St-Edinburgh(via Falkirk Grahamston) (LL) route.and often doubled-up on routes to Aberdeen. At the same time the 156's were used on a Queen st-cumbernauld service that had to stop outside the Eastfield depot. The driver would then walk through the unit to the other end, then set off in the opposite direction!! I bet that doesn't happen these days :)  Or maybe there is No service anymore?? Iv'e not checked it out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk