News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Midland Red Service 154

Started by desmond_tay, December 08, 2014, 06:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond_tay

Hi,

I have come across this photo of a Midland Red 4940 on service 154, from solihull via shirley.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pole/5814800116/in/photolist-9RQnuq-9RMrrx-9RMt1n-9RMrZt-9RyNkX-niGsZN-fs18KB

Credits to Andy Northwood.

May I know whats the history behind the route and what route is this 154 today if it has been renumbered?

Thanks

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Justin Tyme

Yes, the 154 ran over the current 6 route.  It started in 1923 as route number 24C.  In 1925 Midland Red renumbered its services, and it became 130.  In 1928, due to rapid expansion, Midland Red renumbered its services again, and the 130 became the 154.  As Shirley and Solihull developed, the 154 became the most frequent Midland Red route along the Stratford Road.

As stated in the Wikia link, West Midlands PTE decided to encourage passengers to use improved train services from the Solihull area to Birmingham, and as part of this the 154 was (controversially) replaced in 1975 by a 189 running between Solihull, Shirley centre and Shirley Station.  This was reversed by West Midlands Travel on Deregulation Day in 1986, when the 189 was withdrawn and the 6 came into being.  It soon became the primary route along the Stratford Road.  A classic case of the effect of a PTE and the effect of deregulation!

For those who may not know, Birmingham Corporation ran buses (trams until 1937) along the Stratford Road to the city boundary, just before "Hall Green" Tesco.  Midland Red therefore catered for passengers between Solihull and Sandy Hill Road.  From that point, higher fares meant that Midland Reds normally did not carry local passengers within Birmingham.

desmond_tay

Thanks for the answers guys, cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk