News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

It's that time of year again......

Started by winston, December 07, 2014, 01:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

The size and weight of the old 10p piece (which for our younger members, was twice as heavy as the current one and a fraction larger than a £2 coin) would have caused very heavy pockets!

don

I think the fares in the West Midlands are extremely reasonable. To go on a return trip of a few miles involving two bus routes where I live (Arrivaland) it's generally cheaper to buy a day rover ticket at £7.50 - if only I had the time to use it to its full potential!!

What will be interesting, in this changed world with fuel now 20 - 30p cheaper per litre than at its peak, whether companies will start to make much bigger profits. That's a 14-15 % reduction!! Or will they pass on at least part to the consumer by freezing fares??!!

Tony is right that fare income has a large bearing on the financial well being of a commercial bus company - whilst there are other income streams (advertising; sale or lease of property; income from tendered services), this all adds up to financial turnover which is one of the key financial indicators of a company.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

winston

Quote from: don on December 08, 2014, 11:52:42 PM
I think the fares in the West Midlands are extremely reasonable. To go on a return trip of a few miles involving two bus routes where I live (Arrivaland) it's generally cheaper to buy a day rover ticket at £7.50 - if only I had the time to use it to its full potential!!

What will be interesting, in this changed world with fuel now 20 - 30p cheaper per litre than at its peak, whether companies will start to make much bigger profits. That's a 14-15 % reduction!! Or will they pass on at least part to the consumer by freezing fares??!!

Tony is right that fare income has a large bearing on the financial well being of a commercial bus company - whilst there are other income streams (advertising; sale or lease of property; income from tendered services), this all adds up to financial turnover which is one of the key financial indicators of a company.

The current falling oil prices will have no impact on the fuel costs for the largest bus companies, as fuel prices/requirements for large users are hedged well in advance

don

Quote from: Winston on December 08, 2014, 11:59:39 PM

The current falling oil prices will have no impact on the fuel costs for the largest bus companies, as fuel prices/requirements for large users are hedged well in advance

Unless they've fixed them at higher than current price for a longer term deal (to hedge against them increasing - a bit like we do with gas and electric)  unless they had a crystal ball they wouldn't have been able to take account of price reductions. Hopefully they haven't and can - fuel costs must account for a decent proportion of the cost base.

winston

Quote from: don on December 09, 2014, 02:10:30 PM

Unless they've fixed them at higher than current price for a longer term deal (to hedge against them increasing - a bit like we do with gas and electric)  unless they had a crystal ball they wouldn't have been able to take account of price reductions. Hopefully they haven't and can - fuel costs must account for a decent proportion of the cost base.

Fuel prices/requirements for the likes of NX is agreed 1-2 years in advance so they can budget for it. The price NX will pay for fuel will be vastly different to the price we pay at the pumps anyway due to the amount they consume.

don

Quote from: Winston on December 09, 2014, 02:14:42 PM
Quote from: don on December 09, 2014, 02:10:30 PM

Fuel prices/requirements for the likes of NX is agreed 1-2 years in advance so they can budget for it. The price NX will pay for fuel will be vastly different to the price we pay at the pumps anyway due to the amount they consume.

Yes indeed - but fuel prices are governed by the cost per barrel of crude oil - which has plummeted very recently. Whenever they renegotiate the cost, there'll be a significant reduction in cost. The same for retailers and anyone else reliant of fuel for deliveries - perhaps we ll see negative inflation when it feeds through - or gross profiteering if it doesn't 😉

Gareth

I haven't seen any info anywhere on nBus prices. Would anyone happen to know if they will be increased or point me in the right direction to find out? Thanks! :)

Kevin_Brum12

Details of the NXWM fare rises are on the website, but nothing as yet on the buses.  Of note is that the City Hop, Family Daysaver and Student Travelcards have been frozen...

http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/national-express-west-midlands-fare-changes-2015?utm_source=homebanner&utm_campaign=national-express-west-midlands-fare-changes-2015&utm_medium=image

The summary mentions an adult daysaver is going up to £4.20 for £4.00, but what is happening with the "Swift" Daysaver?   Is the plan to keep the cost of these as is, or will they be going up as well from the start of January?

Tony

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on December 16, 2014, 07:39:03 PM
Details of the NXWM fare rises are on the website, but nothing as yet on the buses.  Of note is that the City Hop, Family Daysaver and Student Travelcards have been frozen...

http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/national-express-west-midlands-fare-changes-2015?utm_source=homebanner&utm_campaign=national-express-west-midlands-fare-changes-2015&utm_medium=image

The summary mentions an adult daysaver is going up to £4.20 for £4.00, but what is happening with the "Swift" Daysaver?   Is the plan to keep the cost of these as is, or will they be going up as well from the start of January?

They will be £4 each

Too many people getting on for free, too much fraud and the company know it this is why people who pay have to pay more...exactly the same as people who work, people who pay tax get taxed more blah blah...just paying for the freeloaders!!
Exactly the same why you have to pay £50 plus for a pair of trainers, you're paying the make-up for all the ones that are stolen or the counterfeits that are sold  >:(
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk