News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Route 6 to Solihull

Started by Dutsey, October 07, 2014, 09:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutsey

Why does the 6 to Solihull predominatley use OmniLinks, surely Double Deckers would be more suitable? I was in the Town around 4.30 and the queue was horrendous.

Mike K

My understanding was that it was to try to address issues of antisocial behaviour along some sections of the route (Sparkhill etc) and that the 37 went single deck for the same reason. I thought frequencies were upped slightly due to the decrease in capacity.

I'm sure someone can put me right if this isn't correct.

Liberator9

You are correct Mike K - the 6 and 37 were made single deck to reduce the amount of anti-social behaviour. The Scanias used on there are still in an excellent condition - very little window etching (those that do have the sheets on the window removed quickly) and no graffiti on the floors or side panels. I've known some trouble on both routes still - the 6 tends to have fare dodgers try to get on between Robin Hood Island and Birmingham, along with one or two smokers. The 37 has a few loud mouths, and fare dodgers I've noticed between Sparkbrook and Acock's Green.

I prefer the Scanias to double decks though- primarily due to the Scanias's far superior ride to the Tridents/Presidents, and the fact that I feel safer on them.

There was one rather amusing incident a few months ago that happened on the 6 when going through Sparkhill/Sparkbrook. Some 18-20 yr olds got on the bus for a short hop along from Sparkbrook to Sparkhill and sat in the middle of the Scania. One of them then produces a cigarette, and is about to light it, when his mates told him don't do it as the driver will easily notice! If it'd been a double decker it would've been another story.

They do put double decks on the routes in the peaks, to cope with the increased volume of passengers - which is sensible.

Tony

Quote from: Dutsey on October 07, 2014, 09:16:54 PM
Why does the 6 to Solihull predominatley use OmniLinks, surely Double Deckers would be more suitable? I was in the Town around 4.30 and the queue was horrendous.

The queues were due to the late running on most Birmingham routes after the inner and middle ring roads ground to a halt after an RTC on the M6 north

Stevo

I much preferred double deckers on the 37 for one simple reason - the scum go upstairs!

Ronnoc

I remember the 6 used to be operated on ALX400s!

Stu

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on October 08, 2014, 07:20:31 PM

Still a fair few appear on there now.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ronnoc

Quote from: Stu on October 08, 2014, 07:45:10 PM
Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on October 08, 2014, 07:20:31 PM

Still a fair few appear on there now.
Yep 2 ALX400s operated on Monday, 4384 and 4389.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk