News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Doors

Started by Trident 4194, August 12, 2014, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ally

Quote from: Wumpty on August 18, 2014, 09:39:52 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 12, 2014, 07:59:41 PM
I remember in the Midland Red/Early WMPTE days that it was quite common for buses to be driven round with the doors open in the warmer weather, would never be allowed now!

Wasn't there a Walsall engineer sacked for letting a spotter hang out the front doors of a Metrobus some years ago? The MB's had no interlocks on them IIRC.

The spotter was just near the doors, not hanging out. It was on 2887 whilst it was driving. I know the parties involved, but I won't mention any names (I wasn't one of them).

Not sure if anybody mentioned it, but at one point, the Scanias had buttons in the cab that could cut off the interlock allowing you to drive whilst they were still closing or even fully open. Some of you will probably recall seeing drivers reaching upwards as they pulled away and the doors were still closing, that was the button being used. I was told they removed them all though?
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Wumpty

Quote from: Ally on August 18, 2014, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: Wumpty on August 18, 2014, 09:39:52 PM
I remember in the Midland Red/Early WMPTE days that it was quite common for buses to be driven round with the doors open in the warmer weather, would never be allowed now!

Wasn't there a Walsall engineer sacked for letting a spotter hang out the front doors of a Metrobus some years ago? The MB's had no interlocks on them IIRC.

The spotter was just near the doors, not hanging out. It was on 2887 whilst it was driving. I know the parties involved, but I won't mention any names (I wasn't one of them).

Not sure if anybody mentioned it, but at one point, the Scanias had buttons in the cab that could cut off the interlock allowing you to drive whilst they were still closing or even fully open. Some of you will probably recall seeing drivers reaching upwards as they pulled away and the doors were still closing, that was the button being used. I was told they removed them all though?

They clearly didn't see the "don't stand on platform" signs! More cool the engineer as he's still responsible for his passenger's safety.

That said, the Your bus and Chase Ikarus DAFs had to have the handbrake engaged to open the doors. Great safety but a real timewaster for the driver.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Alex

I was actually on a 333X to Walsall, and the driver only shut the doors to go down the Keyway towards TESCO, then opened them once we were off the keyway, all the way to Walsall
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

domino.99

Just asking, this may sound daft, why do the more modern buses in the fleet e200's, b7rle have rectangular black flaps that when the doors begin to open they lift up?

Ally

Quote from: NXDom on September 16, 2014, 05:10:35 PM
Just asking, this may sound daft, why do the more modern buses in the fleet e200's, b7rle have rectangular black flaps that when the doors begin to open they lift up?

Not a definite fact but my educated guess would be that they replace the old style brushes on the bottom of the doors that over time, bent to one side and made practically no difference to keeping the cold and water out of the bus. Stagecoach's 51 reg Solos have similar but are rather useless, they fold up and stay there, leaving a huge gap under the doors...
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

CL

4246 is having problem with it's door, the right one (from the inside) is delayed by a second, or so... On the 101 currently.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk