News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

82 route change?

Started by fleetline6477, May 05, 2014, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetline6477

On Friday I saw an 82 coming up Bearwood Road, turning left into Sandon Road, then right into Rutland Road and back onto Bearwood Road. Bearwood Road seemed very congested so thought no more about it.

As I came down Bearwood Road today I saw an 82 turning out of Rutland Road and the 82 route number has gone from the Bear Hotel stop.

Is this a permenant rout change? It seems crazy as Rutland Road can get very congested and now passengers can't get off at the Bear Hotel if they want the buses in Three Shires Oak Road.

Can anybody explain / understand the logic?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: fleetline6477 on May 05, 2014, 09:37:30 PM
On Friday I saw an 82 coming up Bearwood Road, turning left into Sandon Road, then right into Rutland Road and back onto Bearwood Road. Bearwood Road seemed very congested so thought no more about it.

As I came down Bearwood Road today I saw an 82 turning out of Rutland Road and the 82 route number has gone from the Bear Hotel stop.

Is this a permenant rout change? It seems crazy as Rutland Road can get very congested and now passengers can't get off at the Bear Hotel if they want the buses in Three Shires Oak Road.

Who knows the logic, the route change took place on 20 april and was advertised on the buses, although no mention on either the NX or Network West Midlands websites.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 05, 2014, 09:49:20 PM
Quote from: fleetline6477 on May 05, 2014, 09:37:30 PM

Who knows the logic, the route change took place on 20 april and was advertised on the buses, although no mention on either the NX or Network West Midlands websites.

Something on the NX App today, I'm not sure if this is similar, as I don't have my phone with me currently... It says that service 82, 87 & 89 has been diverted to due a police incident? I'm not sure if that has anything relevant to what your intended statement?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Trident 4609

Something come up on one of the inspectors radio's at Wolverhampton Bus Station about that diversion.

The route change is permanant though so unrelated

Sh4318

It's such a minor change. The rerouting does allow easier interchanging with the 11A - before all of the Bearwood Road chaos (traffic) begins. I take it the 53 or 61 haven't followed suit by going up Sandon then Rutland Road?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

sonic84

Yes, it is a permanent change.  I only found out about it through seeing a notice on the 48 route.  Otherwise it would have gone unnoticed since is not mentioned on the NX or NWM websites.

It is strange that it has been rerouted if the sole reason is to provide better interchanging on the 11A since there already a fair few places on the route where they meet.

I imagine it will be rerouted back, as like as been mention is loses the interchange with the routes at the Bear Hotel.

Sh4318

Quote from: sonic84 on May 08, 2014, 07:35:55 AM
Yes, it is a permanent change.  I only found out about it through seeing a notice on the 48 route.  Otherwise it would have gone unnoticed since is not mentioned on the NX or NWM websites.

It is strange that it has been rerouted if the sole reason is to provide better interchanging on the 11A since there already a fair few places on the route where they meet.

I imagine it will be rerouted back, as like as been mention is loses the interchange with the routes at the Bear Hotel.

It hasn't lost the interchange with routes, it just means passengers will have to use the bus stops on Sandon Road for the 11C, 120, 127-9. I can't see them changing it back personally

fleetline6477

It hasn't lost the interchange with routes, it just means passengers will have to use the bus stops on Sandon Road for the 11C, 120, 127-9. I can't see them changing it back personally
[/quote]

You are right but there is no stop for the 82 on Sandon Road so passengers have to walk from the far end of Rutland Road and the link for the 11C is not so good. The 11A and 82 already shared a stop so I can't see that anything is gained.

I wonder if it is anything to do with limiting waiting time in Bearwood, Bus Station since buses can layover for a few minutes, if needed, in Rutland Road whereas they can't on Bearwood Road. Do buses get charged per minute of timetable layover or for minutes over a given time? This was the reason why many years ago the 82 was briefly extended as 82A to Harborne, Duke of York as each dayime 82 had an 18 minute layover in the Bus Station.

Sh4318

Quote from: fleetline6477 on May 08, 2014, 08:50:40 PM

You are right but there is no stop for the 82 on Sandon Road so passengers have to walk from the far end of Rutland Road and the link for the 11C is not so good. The 11A and 82 already shared a stop so I can't see that anything is gained.

I wonder if it is anything to do with limiting waiting time in Bearwood, Bus Station since buses can layover for a few minutes, if needed, in Rutland Road whereas they can't on Bearwood Road. Do buses get charged per minute of timetable layover or for minutes over a given time? This was the reason why many years ago the 82 was briefly extended as 82A to Harborne, Duke of York as each dayime 82 had an 18 minute layover in the Bus Station.
[/quote]

Passengers can walk around the corner onto Bearwood Road to catch the 11C, which can't be too much of a convience. Or cross the road at the last 82 stop before the bus station, which is essentially the same distance. Like you, I do wonder what the motivation behind the change was, although it doesn't really surprise me that it's been done. The only thing I can think of is, it gives shoppers a better stop to get to the shops (Argos, Co-op, Aldi)

D10

Quote from: fleetline6477 on May 08, 2014, 08:50:40 PM

[/quote]

With regard to the charges for the Bus Station. Centro charge a fee for each departure from the Bus Station. Therefore the costs incurred by service 82 at Bearwood Bus Station would only change if the number of departures changes, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk