News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Online transport debate

Started by monkeyjoe, December 26, 2013, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Thought people would be interested in this just spotted on MSN. I would have to say that Birmingham can't really have the best transport networks when compared to other cities.

Someone in the worst sections sums up my views, however I work from home some does not really effect me.

http://innovation.uk.msn.com/future-of-transport/which-major-uk-city-has-the-best-transport-network

the trainbasher

I think based on my travels it has to be Nottingham for the best transport system as it is easy to navigate, more routes that reduce changes but are not too big as to get delayed heavy unlike the 49, 126, 900 and similar and also has competition yet not Bloody if you know what I mean

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

The Real 4778

It's a very biased list of choices.  Basically London, then 'everywhere else,' with not much to choose between them by comparison.

I can only vote London: Tube, Bus, Suburban and Urban heavy rail (including Overground) Croydon Tram and river buses.  There is no meaningful challenge from anywhere else in the UK.  London's population, plus central and local government spending on transport networks means that this is a foregone conclusion.

(just noticed my post count reached 205: Paddington to Bow Church !)
Don't you start.

Bob

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 26, 2013, 08:18:42 PM
I think based on my travels it has to be Nottingham for the best transport system as it is easy to navigate, more routes that reduce changes but are not too big as to get delayed heavy unlike the 49, 126, 900 and similar and also has competition yet not Bloody if you know what I mean

Nottingham City Transport is a publicly owned council bus company (apart from a small stake sold to allow extra investment), so it shows public ownership can work.  Same can be said for Lothian, & Cardiff. Im sure if the evil conservatives had their way theyd all be flogged off.

the trainbasher

Quote from: bob on December 27, 2013, 10:32:01 AM

Nottingham City Transport is a publicly owned council bus company (apart from a small stake sold to allow extra investment), so it shows public ownership can work.  Same can be said for Lothian, & Cardiff. Im sure if the evil conservatives had their way theyd all be flogged off.

And your point is? Nottingham could work as it is even if both operators were privately owned so don't get politics into it.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Kevin

The debate of where has the best network is more down to personal opinion and experience really though ain't it? Because it depends on what criteria you think make it better than others. Some people would say that London wins hands down, because of the intense services, extensive 24 hour running, uniform liveries on buses etc... Some would however argue that London isn't all that great because, yeah everywhere is withing spitting distance of a bus route, but to get any sort of distance require two or three changes sometimes, as an example it's genuinely easier for me to go to London to the national Scout Headquarters (Gilwell Park - Chingford) using national rail services than it is for my friend who lives in Harrow travelling with TfL services. It perhaps sounds a bit stupid but when you think about it it kinda does make sense. Places like here in the West Midlands and Merseyside (just two examples I know fairly well) are a lot simpler and you're never far away from a direct service into the city centre.

For me, if there's some sort of map readily available to take with you then that automatically sets a city/area apart from those that don't. It's usually the first thing I do if I go somewhere, look for a map so I can navigate my own way around.
Over the years I've grown fairly accustomed to the networks of Merseyside and Rotterdam (family reasons), London (geek interest reasons) and the West Mids (obvious reasons) this way. Personally would say that Manchester is confusing because the maps available are of too small an area so they have 12 to cover the whole network.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

PM

I totally agree here. NCT with high quality buses, timetables, good frequencies and a modern fleet. Trent Barton kind of speaks for itself really with its innovative ideas and high quality service that makes it possibly Britain's best bus operator for me (other than Diamond, obviously!), and then yourbus which has innovative routes, amazing buses and hasn't simply copied lucrative daytime routes but has grown the market through night services and cleverly extended routes.

The Real 4778

Nottingham is, by some margin, the smallest of all the cities polled however, so the comparisons are a bit limiting. 

Where it does score is by having a decent tram network, which for a place its size definitely propels it up the league.
Don't you start.

Lukeee

When it comes to price, Birmingham is quite good value when yu consider the size of the city.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk