News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Way to Increase Bus Safety

Started by Jamesp071, August 15, 2013, 09:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamesp071

Nowadays, we have lots of bus on the road. It's so convenient but also dangerous sometimes. I found a news in Wellington about bus monitoring system. I think it would be a trend in the future. Take a look of it (:
Wellington bus drivers will have the quality of their driving monitored by new technology, which will keep an eye on poor behaviour such as speeding, harsh braking and rough cornering. The new system would alert drivers when they were approaching the safety or efficiency thresholds NZ Bus had set for particular behaviors.
For each different behaviour a visual signal would start out green, changing to amber when the threshold was being approached and then to red when it was crossed, NZ Bus chief executive Zane Fulljames said.
The system was part of a broader training programme for drivers that would increase their skills and deliver smoother journeys for commuters, while reducing fuel emissions and the physical wear and tear on buses, he said. If you want to know this kind of system. Here goes the brief introduction of the system.

There's also some positive talk about the system. If you want to know more about the news. Please find the site below.
Source : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10908988

Tony

Quote from: Jamesp071 on August 15, 2013, 09:35:23 AM
Nowadays, we have lots of bus on the road. It's so convenient but also dangerous sometimes. I found a news in Wellington about bus monitoring system. I think it would be a trend in the future. Take a look of it (:
Wellington bus drivers will have the quality of their driving monitored by new technology, which will keep an eye on poor behaviour such as speeding, harsh braking and rough cornering. The new system would alert drivers when they were approaching the safety or efficiency thresholds NZ Bus had set for particular behaviors.
For each different behaviour a visual signal would start out green, changing to amber when the threshold was being approached and then to red when it was crossed, NZ Bus chief executive Zane Fulljames said.
The system was part of a broader training programme for drivers that would increase their skills and deliver smoother journeys for commuters, while reducing fuel emissions and the physical wear and tear on buses, he said. If you want to know this kind of system. Here goes the brief introduction of the system.

There's also some positive talk about the system. If you want to know more about the news. Please find the site below.
Source : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10908988

Welcome to the forum James

Traffilog, a very similar system is fitted to all NXWM buses

nitromatt1

I'm not a driver but from what I can tell all NXWM vehicles have a tiny console up in the corner of the cab. Drivers can push a button and a colour will light up (either green, orange or red) reflecting how smoothly they've been driving. It starts as green when a driver takes over a vehicle, but may turn orange or red if the driver corners sharply or excessively brakes. I assume this is the Traffilog system?

I've been told it's overly sensitive in some Mercs, so if the driver goes through a pothole or something similar, it can turn orange

Also, what if a child suddenly runs into the road in front of a bus, or something similar happens, which requires emergency evasive actions from the driver - the Traffilog system would probably turn orange or red, when it isn't necessarily the driver's fault?

JackC

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 15, 2013, 09:59:19 AM
I'm not a driver but from what I can tell all NXWM vehicles have a tiny console up in the corner of the cab. Drivers can push a button and a colour will light up (either green, orange or red) reflecting how smoothly they've been driving. It starts as green when a driver takes over a vehicle, but may turn orange or red if the driver corners sharply or excessively brakes. I assume this is the Traffilog system?

I've been told it's overly sensitive in some Mercs, so if the driver goes through a pothole or something similar, it can turn orange

Also, what if a child suddenly runs into the road in front of a bus, or something similar happens, which requires emergency evasive actions from the driver - the Traffilog system would probably turn orange or red, when it isn't necessarily the driver's fault?

I'd imagine in a case like that, the driver could appeal his case and, assuming he's driving a vehicle with CCTV fitted, management could review the forward CCTV footage.

notepanel

Quote from: JackC on August 16, 2013, 11:13:54 AM

I'd imagine in a case like that, the driver could appeal his case and, assuming he's driving a vehicle with CCTV fitted, management could review the forward CCTV footage.

Don't forget it's the whole time period that's taken into account, so one red for an instance like that would be unlikely to effect the overall result.

On the coaches, which also operates Traffilog, drivers are rated either 'Gold', 'Green', 'Orange' or 'Red', and these drivers are recognised each month by their individual companies. Not only can Traffilog record the drivers behaviour, it can also be used for current & past tracking of vehicles (so you can see delays, or prove a bus did/did not leave early for instance) and even items such as the temperature on the vehicle.

I believe Stagecoach uses a similar system known as Green Road - basically the same, but rather than be honest with drivers about what they're doing they claim it's to reduce fuel.

Nathan4775

Is that's whats at the front of the Arriva Geminis that work the 110 then
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

nitromatt1

Quote from: Nathan on August 16, 2013, 09:23:07 PM

Is that's whats at the front of the Arriva Geminis that work the 110 then

I don't know, I've never looked at the cab of a B9TL (only ever been on two B9TLs)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk