News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Started by Stuharris 6360, March 01, 2013, 08:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

We are always saying on this Forum that the 246 needs extra capacity, but nothing ever seems to happen.

So how about this suggestion, make it 100% double deckers and reduce the service to every 10 minutes.

At the moment, with a bus every 7/8 minutes (8 buses per hour) with a Merc you get 344 seats per hour, an Enviro every 10 minutes (6 buses per hour) and you get 462 seats per hour.

Plus, with the Burnt Tree Island road works long finished, why not extend the 246 every half hour to West Bromwich opening up more travel opportunities for the residents of Stourbridge and Brierley Hill.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richie

There would be no use in extending the 246 beyond Dudley you will have even worse reliability issues no link is required the network with high frequencies is in place. I partly agree with reducing the frequency with deckers woul increase capacity but surely a cut I frequency is s back step. If the frequency with deckers was maintained further growth could happen

Stuharris 6360

I just wonder whether you would be able to get enough Doubles for anything more than a ten minute frequency.

With a ten minute frequency, you would probably need 8 buses which would probably be ok, PE have 30, and the PVR for the 9 is no more than 20 i assume, so you would be able to release 8 for the 246 and have a couple for spare/maintainance.

Of course doubles then couldn't be used for any other services like 141.

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richie

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on March 01, 2013, 09:43:08 PM
I just wonder whether you would be able to get enough Doubles for anything more than a ten minute frequency.

With a ten minute frequency, you would probably need 8 buses which would probably be ok, PE have 30, and the PVR for the 9 is no more than 20 i assume, so you would be able to release 8 for the 246 and have a couple for spare/maintainance.

The 141/9 enviro pvr is 27 leaving 3 spare for routine maintance. No room for movement whatsoever.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: richie on March 01, 2013, 09:47:19 PM

The 141/9 enviro pvr is 27 leaving 3 spare for routine maintance. No room for movement whatsoever.

it says one thing, PE do need more double deckers, problem is i can't see them getting any in the forseeable future as there just are not any spare..

Sh4318

I think the 246 route wise is ok as it is, I think it should definitely be allocated more doubles. As for the extension, I can't see that being required when you already have the 74 from Dudley to West Bromwich (every 10 minutes), which would presumably go the same way as the suggested route extension
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

nitromatt1

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on March 01, 2013, 10:08:15 PM

it says one thing, PE do need more double deckers, problem is i can't see them getting any in the forseeable future as there just are not any spare..

Really? ;D

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: nitromatt1 on July 18, 2013, 11:13:56 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on March 01, 2013, 10:08:15 PM

Really? ;D

:-[ :-[ :-[

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Really impressed with NXWM over this one, they have clearly listened to PE, passenger and drivers voices over this in sending 10 Tridents over to PE, and alright perhaps there is the upcoming issue of TGB offering Dudley to Stourbridge college services from September but still, top marks for NXWM for their proactive approach, all they need to do is slowly refurb the Tridents

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk