News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Wolverhampton WH Smith Closure

Started by Trident 4609, May 22, 2013, 10:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

Apparantly WH Smith in the Mander Centre is to close in July after its lease has expired because trading there is in their words "commercially unviable". Another Shop in Wolverhampton empty. Its becoming a ghost town!

Guess i will have to get Buses Magazine from somewhere else now  :( ;)

mikestone

Maybe it's a negotiating ploy - or do they have an on street site in prospect?
;
The branch by the bus station was quickly snapped up be Costa.

JoNi

WH Smith still sells plenty of papers and magazines but when i go in there are rows of books and maps which hardly ever see anyone looking at or buying thanks in part due to the internet. When i was on a bus recently a young passenger said "i don't need to know anything i just look it up on the internet!".

Kevin_Brum12

The good news is that the Wolverhampton WH Smith store has been repreived.  It looks as if the company has managed to re-negotiate the lease.

The bad news is that the Dudley branch of the chain is to close instead, from the end of September....http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/06/29/wh-smith-store-in-dudley-is-to-shut/

Given the Merry Hill effect and the state that Dudley Town Centre is now in perhaps we should not be surprised.

D10

Can't say I am surprised by the reprieve for Wolverhampton, it was such a big store and the owners of the Mander Centre wouldn't want such a big store empty.

Sad news about Dudley, as Kevin says the Merry Hill effect continues to affect the town.

Smith's West Bromwich store also closed recently, which reflects on the decline of that town Centre too.

I have seen Buses on sale in several branches of Tesco though, which I guess is part of the problem along with the 'Net. Why make a special trip to Smith's when you can get your magazines along with your groceries.

uniquicity

Quote from: D10 on June 29, 2013, 09:33:08 PM
Can't say I am surprised by the reprieve for Wolverhampton, it was such a big store and the owners of the Mander Centre wouldn't want such a big store empty.

Sad news about Dudley, as Kevin says the Merry Hill effect continues to affect the town.

Smith's West Bromwich store also closed recently, which reflects on the decline of that town Centre too.

I have seen Buses on sale in several branches of Tesco though, which I guess is part of the problem along with the 'Net. Why make a special trip to Smith's when you can get your magazines along with your groceries.

West Bromwich will be back on the map in 2 weeks time ;)

Westy

Same goes for my Doctor Who mag, Private Eye & Computer Active! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk