News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Notorious traffic hotspots

Started by Kevin, June 15, 2013, 01:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Kings Heath High Street seems to be always congested. Especially at the lights by Vicarage Road

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Trident 4609 on June 18, 2013, 09:52:52 PM
Some people on the forum think your someone who used to be on the forum working at BC garage called BC Moblile hense BCM!

Oh I see. I have read his/her posts and I can assure you I am not.

I'm just a harmless rat.

Another contender for traffic blackspot is the Q.E. Hospital. Even though they have the traffic wardens present, taxis still park illegally. Yes, cars can pass but have you tried manouvering a 40ft B7rle though that gap?!

Quote from: Mike K on June 18, 2013, 09:57:40 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 18, 2013, 09:33:54 PM
Quote from: Mike K on June 18, 2013, 09:23:21 PM
Hello Rat, or should we call you the artist formerly known as BCM :)? I live not far from the shops by the island where War Lane, Northfield Road and Fellows Lane all meet, so I'm very familiar with the 22, 23 and 99 routes. And tired of a 4 mile daily commute that can take 50 mins to an hour on a really bad day!

Ahh. I'll keep an eye out for you. And BCM? Birmingham Corp. Mole? I'm trying to think of various rodents lol.

The rat name came about by my nickname, outside of work of course  ;)

I think the Hybrids are over-hyped now, I think they should go on other routes now to show green buses to other areas of Birmingham. Then again, put them on The Rock.. maybe not.

Please don't be suggesting that to management! People round here, including my folks who also live locally remark on how much more pleasant bus travel is since the Hybrids were introduced. They're well looked after by BC in terms of removing vandalism etc. and whilst it's a far from perfect route, the buses just do not get trashed to the same extent as say those on the 14. And even the 99s are decent these days.

Anyway, back to traffic hotspots. The lights by Highgate Fire Station on the 50 from city always used to be a problem. Buses often went into the right hand lane (which was for turning right only) but went straight ahead when the lights turned green to jump the queues. Do they still do this or is that a manoeuvre that would get you the sack if you were DQM'd these days?

Sorry Mike, Harbornes' had enough of them now he he. But I've experienced first hand how good the voice stop system thing is. A blind chap of whom lives the stop before the 22/23 splits asked me why the bus' voice wasn't working. I simply replied "I've got a Trident for this late night". - Expecting him not to know what I was on about, he replied "It must have a ZF box by the sounds of it". - Turns out he is an enthusiast. Surely it'll be difficult for him, you know, being blind and all.

Regarding the queue jumping, you'll be sent back to Walsall/Miller St for sure. It's the same in the rush hour at Selly Oak jnct. Oak Tree Lane. Drivers use the middle lane and cut across the cars in the bus lane to serve the bus stop. Upon mentioning to said drivers' that'll gain you a day at Training the response was "I dont give a f**k". 10 years i've been on this job and I dont see why trying to run to time you'll risk everything.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Regarding the queue jumping, you'll be sent back to Walsall/Miller St for sure. It's the same in the rush hour at Selly Oak jnct. Oak Tree Lane. Drivers use the middle lane and cut across the cars in the bus lane to serve the bus stop. Upon mentioning to said drivers' that'll gain you a day at Training the response was "I dont give a f**k". 10 years i've been on this job and I dont see why trying to run to time you'll risk everything.

Interesting. I guess you could get away with a whole lot more in the old days. The Queensbridge Road lights was another place where you often got queue jumping on the 50. Cars would queue in the bus lane and buses would often go down the right hand lane and cut in when the lights changed. Some days you could end up 3 or 4 buses in front of where you started. From a passenger perspective good if you just want to get home after a crap day at work but as you say from a driver perspective just not worth the risk nowadays.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk