News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Cash Fares

Started by Stuharris 6360, August 16, 2013, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Transport For London is proposing to go cashless on its buses from 2014 and are to consult on it this Autumn.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cashless

They claim that not having to handle cash will be saving £24 million a year by 2020.

With the advent, shortly, of a smartcard fare payment system, are the days of cash fares in the West Midlands numbered?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

JackC

Cash fares will still be around for a fair few years in the Midlands, no doubt. London has had the Oyster Card for 10 years and are just now getting ready to go cashless. The Midlands are only just introducing Swift and it'll take a few years to get most of the population on board (no pun intended  ::))

nitromatt1

So if I'm visiting London for a day, and want to use the bus network, how would I buy a day ticket?

JackC

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 17, 2013, 12:40:55 AM
So if I'm visiting London for a day, and want to use the bus network, how would I buy a day ticket?

Maybe something like a disposable pre-paid card you can buy at a newsagent?

nx4737

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 17, 2013, 12:40:55 AM

Day travelcard, cheapest and most flexible option for just a day.

London cash fares are shocking anyway.

Kevin

Don't go to London that much but have myself an Oyster Card, purely because it's handy for when I do go.
Actually for the same matter, I go to visit family in Holland even less but have a dutch version of the Oyster Card aswell (the OV card, valid all over the country, makes everything so much easier and cheaper)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

JackC

Do you reckon we could ever see a kind of Oyster Card that works nationwide on every bus company all across the country? Obviously not in the near future but it's something that could happen maybe?

Nathan4775

Is there a London Card that covers all zones
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Tony

Quote from: Nathan on August 17, 2013, 03:53:33 PM

There is, if you are going by train it can be added on to your train ticket cheaper than buying one down there. Chiltern do a one day travelcard that is valid from Birmingham to London then on all public transport.

The initial Oyster card will cost you £5, but I have one as when I go to London I never really know how much public transport I am going to use down there. The oyster will charge you for individual journeys, but as soon as you hit £7.70 it stops and all travel after that is 'free'

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on August 17, 2013, 04:33:12 PM
There is, if you are going by train it can be added on to your train ticket cheaper than buying one down there. Chiltern do a one day travelcard that is valid from Birmingham to London then on all public transport.

Awesome ticket that, 35 quid and I can get to London, travel all around and come back home. Done that a number of times
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stuharris 6360

The initial Oyster card will cost you £5, but I have one as when I go to London I never really know how much public transport I am going to use down there. The oyster will charge you for individual journeys, but as soon as you hit £7.70 it stops and all travel after that is 'free'

If you just use the buses, which i often do, you only have to spend £4.40 on your oyster and then its free for the rest of the day.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

I think it 'tops out' at the equivalent of the day ticket value depending on what mode of transport you use.

So yes, if you only travel on buses, it's £1.30 a pop until you reach the equivalent of the 'Daysaver' they have down London (whatever that's called) for buses. If you travel on Tubes also, then it maxes out at the equivalent day rate, etc etc.

It's exactly how I'd like the Swift card to work up here too, Centro please take note!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on August 17, 2013, 06:18:52 PM
I think it 'tops out' at the equivalent of the day ticket value depending on what mode of transport you use.

So yes, if you only travel on buses, it's £1.30 a pop until you reach the equivalent of the 'Daysaver' they have down London (whatever that's called) for buses. If you travel on Tubes also, then it maxes out at the equivalent day rate, etc etc.

It's exactly how I'd like the Swift card to work up here too, Centro please take note!

Exactly Stu, no matter how many journeys you make a day, it should never charges more than you would pay for a Daysaver, Nbus ticket or Daytripper dependant on what mode(s) of travel you use.

Nathan4775

Thanks Tony
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk