News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

2013 Renewals

Started by Matt.N0056, November 30, 2012, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt.N0056

According to the local newspaper, Centro are looking for people's on some services up for renewal in 2013 (I'm guessing April), specifically S2/A/C. S3, S4, S7, S9, 82, 83, 84 and 87.
An online question is available at http://www.centro.org.uk/southsolihull.htm

Stu

Thanks for this, its slightly disappointing to see that Centro / Network West Midlands have not published this themselves on their website, or made a little noise about it, I would hate to think there could be regular users of these services who might be denied a chance to have their say on their future.

However, after publishing the link on my 'West Midlands Bus Users' Facebook page, it didn't take Reiss long to start offering his opinions on introducing a new route to Hampton-In-Arden from Birmingham or bringing back the loss-making 194 service.  ::)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Matt.N0056

The article also says that Centro are "doing their best to let people know about the consultation". So lets hope they are.

I would like to see if my local service, S10, is due to be renewed at the same time as the rest of the 'S' services. Although the service is partially commercial, some of it is tendered. I and many of the passengers would like to see the service reinstated to half hourly and the timetable reviewed due to the reliability of the service which will no doubt suffer more when the new supermarket opens in Sheldon. However, last year Centro did reinstate the half hourly frequency at 'busy times' so we now have 2 extra journeys to Solihull a day, so i doubt they would reinstate the half hourly in full.

Ash

Been on the 82 a few times the citaro's are fantastic buses and a nice route all round seems very reliable too just wished it was more regular than every hour, is it a commerical service by blue diamond or funded by centro.

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Ash on December 03, 2012, 08:38:57 PM
Been on the 82 a few times the citaro's are fantastic buses and a nice route all round seems very reliable too just wished it was more regular than every hour, is it a commerical service by blue diamond or funded by centro.

Funded by Centro. It is one of the services up for renewal in 2013.

Nathan4775

It would be a shame to seee the 82 go as its the only bus from Coventry - Solihull and is well used by people in Coventry/Meriden/Solihull even the 18:15 journey
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Stu

If the 82 is well used in its current form, it is probably not really at risk of withdrawal or being revised.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ash

Was on the 82 from Coventry today around midday and was fairly well used with the bus in the other direction being nearly full. When i have caught the 16:10 departure from Coventry most seats are normally taken, i'm sure this service is commercially viable without funding from centro and the citaro's used on there are excellent best buses in the blue diamond fleet by a mile.

winston

Quote from: Ash on December 07, 2012, 09:36:39 PM
Was on the 82 from Coventry today around midday and was fairly well used with the bus in the other direction being nearly full. When i have caught the 16:10 departure from Coventry most seats are normally taken, i'm sure this service is commercially viable without funding from centro and the citaro's used on there are excellent best buses in the blue diamond fleet by a mile.

Is the 82 much different from TWM's 192 or 194? As those were both commercial services & withdrawn during the Solihull review due to low passenger numbers

JPC

The significant difference of course is the route taken and end to end journey time, the current 82 is only about 47 minutes end to end, the 192/194 was about 70 minutes.  In regard to usage I'm sure Centro will be looking at where people are getting on/off and seeing how many of the passengers could of used service 900 for their journeys.

I just wonder if running the 82 though Pickford Green Lane, Hockley Lane, Broad Lane and Hearsall Lane into Coventry is possible for this route, as that would cover the bits of Broad Lane without a bus service, the end of Broad Lane at Hearsall Common even has a bit of bus lane yet no normal bus service runs there at present, the route can also stop nearer to the Lower Precinct, retail market and Ikea in Coventry. It's actually less mileage overall due to the current silly Coventry bound routing at Millison's Wood.

Ash

I hope blue diamond continue to operate the 82 when I have caught the service it has always been on time with no issues. Can't comment for the other signature services as i dont use them. Also Centro seem to have invested their time in the signature card not sure it's been a success but overall the quality of the buses are high.

JPC

No idea why is the 82 service remains subsidised but I would guess the "cheap" West Midlands fares plays a part in it, NX's legacy of a single fare being the same regardless of the passenger travelling 3 stages or 23 stages. When Central Connect/Blue Diamond came on the route their £2.50 return fare was not only less than NX's but also very cheap when you look at similar interurban routes from Coventry, De Courcey, who I guess are undercutting Stagecoach return fares by a few pence, say they currently charge £5.20 to Rugby and £6.20 to Nuneaton.
One time I rode a 194 (a B10L) towards Solihull and the bus was so rammed it drove past passengers waiting at Catherine-De-Barnes, not very good when it was just over an hour until the next bus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk